Chalk is a good item to have on hand for outdoor play. We had fun outside with this Simple Chalk Preschool Counting Activity.
This is such a fun, simple-to-do summer learning activity for Toddler, Preschool, and Kindergarten age kids!
All you need is a driveway, sidewalk, or surface of some sort and chalk (homemade chalk recipe)
Simple Chalk Preschool Counting Activity
First, I wrote numbers 1-10 on the bricks. Saying the names of the numbers while writing them so that the kids can hear and see the numbers and their names. Having them count with me, pointing at the written numbers too.
Then each child got a turn to choose a number.
They had to find the chosen number, then jump up and down for the number of counts according to the number, while I made the lines counting up till we reach the number.
Example: For instance, number two- jump twice (while counting and drawing two lines next to the number 2 on the brick).
For the next round, they chose a number again, but this time had to spin around the correct amount of times according to the chosen number. After each round we changed up the instruction: jumping, spinning, walking backwards, stand on one leg etc.
This activity can be used for introducing tallying with preschoolers.
It is very simple, but effective since it involves different senses: visual, auditory and proprioceptive senses. And did you know that children learn best with a multisensory approach?
Counting activities for preschoolers
- Barnyard Counting Clip Card (Counting 1-10)
- Pumpkin Math Kindergarten Addition Practice
- Bugs Counting to 30 Activities
- Fingerprint Activity Sheet
- Bowling Counting Cards
- Catch 20 Bug Counting Game
- Firefly Printable Math Game
- Free Hungry Caterpillar Flashcards
- Number Mats (use with playdough, lego, stickers, etc.)
- Free Printable Number Puzzles
- Number Train Printable Math Activity for counting 1-20
- Plant a Number Line to 10
Number activities for preschoolers
- Safari Count to 30 Game
- Spring Math Activities for Preschoolers
- Sunflower Seed Counting
- Counting to 100 games
- Skip Counting Chart
- Pizza Counting Game
- FUN Goldfish Printable Counting Cards
- Counting Farm Animals Worksheet 1-10
- Count to 10 Bingo Dauber Printables
- Counting Snowman Printables
- Monster Counting with Google eyes
- Lego Numbers – Printable Duplo Mats to count and trace
Fun Summer Activities
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- DIY Lava Lamp
- Pop Rock Science Experiment
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Density Experiment
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Lego DIY Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Sidewalk Chalk Recipe