Make your own I spy bottles with rice and recycled water bottles for an EPIC activity for kids. This I Spy Bottle DIY is super simple to make in just 5-10 minutes, but provides hours of play for kids as busy bags, summer car trips, and more! Use DIY I spy bottle with preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and elementary age children in first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders. Use this I spy DIY to help kids work on letter discrimination, colors, letters, animal theme, summer theme, etc. – the possibilities are endless!
I Spy Bottles
Looking for a fun summer activity for kids? Why not try making your own I spy DIY! Instead of making I spy games using a worksheet, these engaging I spy bottles allow kids to pick-up, hold, shake, and look for the special items you can choose to put in theirI spy rice bottle. These I spy bottle DIY projects take only 5-10 minutes to whip up and are super cheap to make too! ThisDIY I Spy bottle is fun for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students. Use these for an I’m bored moment, road trips, or any other time you want them to work on visual discrimination for a quiet moment!
Back 6 years ago, when my first born was little, I was invited to a Busy Bag Party. In case you haven’t heard of that the host invites a certain number of people. There were 9 in our exchange (a WONDERFUL number to be able to buy/make in bulk without being too daunting!) Each person lets the host know what activity for kids they are making so there are no duplicates. Then each of you makes 9 projects. At the Busy Bag Party you swap so when you go homes you will have 9 different busy bag activities for your kids to play with – cool, right! I am so grateful to my host for the fun idea & my kids are LOVING all their new activities.
I Spy Bottle
- rubbing alcohol
- food coloring (whatever color you like)
- sandwich bags
- clear plastic bottles (empty with lid saved)
- small toys, beads, etc. for kids to look for
I Spy Bottle DIY
To make these fun, easy to make DIY I Spy Bottles, you will need colored rice. Here is how to dye rice.
DIY I spy bottle
I Spy DIY
I spy rice bottle
Put one of each item like a pom pom, number die, small animal, etc. in the partially filled recycled plastic bottle, top with additional dyed rice, leave a little head room, and close lid.
Don’t the bottles look pretty all lined up?
I Spy Game
This part is optional. Kids can have fun looking for objects without a printable! As what you put in the jar will vary depending on your child’s intersts and what you can find, I cannot provide a free i spy printable on this onw. I whipped up my i spy game printable cards in power point by taking a picutre of the opjects and inserting them onto square tiles with a cute background. Now attach cards with pictures of every item you’ve included for your child to find.
Now you have a fun, easy-to-make I Spy Game for toddler, preschool, kindergarten, and first grade kids.
HINT: You could also make 4 different I Spy Bottles – one for each season using different mediums than rice. You might also try colored fusion beads, sand, salt, fake snow, colored water, hair gel, rocks, darker grain, spices, etc.
The possibilities are endless as are the hours of fun your kiddos will have with them!
I Spy Worksheets
Look for more fun visual discrimination practice with free I Spy Worksheets? Try these:
- States I Spy Worksheets
- Animals I Spy Printables – count & color
- Gumball I Spy Alphabet Worksheets
- I Spy Bugs Worksheet
- Pirate I Spy Worksheets
- I Spy Simple Machines for Kids
- Farm Animals I Spy Worksheets pdf FREE
- DIY I Spy Bottle
- Around the World I Spy Worksheets pdf FREE
- ICrayon COLORS I Spy Worksheets
- 🚍 I Spy Back to School Worksheets
- 🍎Apple I Spy Preschool Game
- ❄️ Winter I Spy Preschool Game
- 💗 Valentines Day I Spy
- 🍀 I Spy St Patricks Day Printables
- 🐦 Spring I Spy Worksheet
- 🌍 Earth Day I Spy Printables
- 🍦 Ice Cream Printable I Spy Activity Sheets
- ⛱ Beach I Spy Printable Game
- 🗽 I Spy 4th of July Printable
- 🎄 I Spy Name Ornaments
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- EASY, Colorful Oil and Water Science Experiment
- Kids will be amazed as you change colors of white flowers with this Dying Flowers Science Experiment
- Human Body Project
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
- Amazing, Heat Sensitive, Color Changing Slime
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Outrageously cool Bouncy Egg Experiment
- Rainbow Summer Activities for Preschoolers
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- This super cool Lego Zipline is fun and simple to make
- Exploding Watermelon – science experiment that explores potential and kinetic energy with a big WOW moment!
- Memorable Life Size Skeletal system science project – includes free printable template
- Lego Squishy Circuits Electricity Science Experiments for Kids
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Free Printable Animal Classifications for Kids Cootie Catchers
- Fun Water balloon science experiment that explores density
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids