Have you ever played the game Battleship? I used to LOVE it as a kid. It’s the perfect game for a pair of kids or a child with a parent. This Alphabet Battle Game is our version that helps preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten age children work on letter recognition as they learn their letters. Using a fun ABC Game helps keep kids engaged and makes learning fun. Plus, by using an alphabet game, kids will have so much fun while practicing alphabet skills!
Alphabet Battle Game
This Alphabet Battleship Game helps kids with so many different alphabet skills as well as numbers. Kids will learn and practice letter identification as well as formation. They will need to identify the letters to be able to answer the questions correctly. They will practice forming the letters when they write their answers down. They will also practice number recognition or counting when they are finding the correct space on their game board. These printable alphabet games for kids are perfect for toddlers, preschoolers and kindergartners learning their ABCs.
Letter recognition games
Alphabet Games for Kids
To try this abc learning games you will need a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- Laminator / Dry Erase Pouch
- Dry Erase Marker
Prepping this game is super simple. There are a few optional ideas to make this game last longer, but it doesn’t have to be complicated.
The printable set comes with a red board game, a blue board game and a set of letter tiles. After printing the set out, first cut the letter tiles apart from one another.
If you wish to use ABC beads, magnets or other ABC manipulatives that you already have, that is fine too. Kids could also write the letters on the game board instead.
I would suggest laminating at least the game boards so that you can write with dry erase markers, otherwise each game board will be one time use only. Alternatively you could use dry erase pockets or sheet protectors.
You’ll also need to set up some sort of divider between the two players. This could be a piece of foam board, a large book, or a picture frame. Kids could also sit on opposite sides of the couch with clipboards.
Alphabet learning games
On their own game board, kids will place letter tiles onto some of the squares on the top of their game board. This should not be full. We picked 7, you could probably go up to 12, which would be half. These letters will stay put througout the game.
The person to go first will ask something similar to “Do you have a letter in spot 4?”. If the other person does, they will tell the letter that is there. Once that happens, the first person to go will mark that letter down on the bottom grid of their game board.
If the person does not have a letter in spot 4, the turn is over.
The next person goes and so on and so forth. The first person to guess all of the spots, wins.
- Put velcro on the back of the letter tiles and inside the letter squares. Since the letters will stick, you could easily take this game on the road!
- When a child guesses the spot correctly, they could spell a word that starts with that letter – to add a bit of challenge.
Looking for more great content? We have over 1 million free printable worksheets conveniently arranged by subject or grade: super cute Pre k Worksheets, fun kindergarten worksheets, free 1st grade worksheets, handy 2nd grade worksheets, printable 3rd grade worksheets, and 4th grade worksheets
- Help kids learn their ABCs and work on letter recognition with these super cute A to Z Worksheet pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Over 2000 pages of free alphabet printables to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Huge pack of solar system worksheets
- Simple machines for kids projects, lesson plans, printables, and more!
- FREE Maps for kids including printable world map for kids, continent maps, and country maps too
- Handy Sight Words Printable list plus lots of sight word games, activities, and worksheets too!
- Learn about other countries around the world with our free country coloring pages
- We also have reading list like this 1st grade reading books pdf to help you pick engaging books for kids!
- Celebrate the letter of the week with these adorable, Free Alphabet Hats
- Make learning fun with these free cut and paste worksheets
- Plus don’t miss this outrageously fun Human Body Project
- We have lots of themed worksheets like these super cute Frozen preschool worksheets
- Color, Read and Learn your letters with this printable alphabet book pdf for each letter A to Z
- Make science FUN for kids of all ages with over 100 Food Experiments to try
- Teach kids to tell time with this huge pack of printable time puzzles
Plus don’t miss these popular posts from our sister sites:
- Shaped Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Free Printable Alphabet Worksheets
- Lots of cute, themed Free Kindergarten Worksheets
- Bingo Dauber Printables
- Printable Lowercase letter alphabet crafts
- Printable Uppercase alphabet Letter Crafts
- Cute Alphabet Coloring Pages
- Letter Recognition Worksheets with do a do markers
- Lots of free ABC Printables for preschoolers
- Free Playdough Mats to work on shapes, numbers, colors, alphabet letters, and more!
- Uppercase Letter Tracing with animal alphabet mats
- Free Color Worksheets
- Simple, free alphabet worksheets
ABC Battle Board Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!