Help children learn to sound out L blends with these free printable puzzles. This consonant blends activity is great for kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students.
Ready for some l blends work? Well, this week my kindergarten twins have hit this stage in their reading and spelling. It is a big deal for my little girl, because not only is it a reading goal, it is also her speech goal.
So as we work through building and reading these words, we also get to work on making the correct sound. I love it when two goals can be met in one activity. And these “L” blend puzzles help use meet both these goals.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this literacy activity is sure to be a hit with your students from kindergartens, grade 1 and grade 2 students!
And that is it. You are ready to go.
L Blend Words
Before bringing out the puzzles, I would introduce you little ones to the sounds. In this phonics blends activity you will be working on the following sounds: bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl, blends.
Let them practice saying the sound, and you could even see if they could come up with words that start with those sounds. Once they are familiar with the sounds the blends make, now is a good time to pull out the puzzles.
Using all the puzzles at once maybe a little overwhelming for your child, so I would separate them into piles that won’t overwhelm them. (I sorted them into sandwich bags and just grabbed different ones each day.)
Blends for Kindergarten
- First, I laid out the pictures and we practiced saying each word…speech goals.
- Next, we broke the word up into sounds. For example, I clearly separated the fl, a, and g sound in the word flag.
- Then, the twins would look for the letters or letter that makes that sound and put them together to complete the puzzle.
- Finally, we would say the word one more time pointing to each sound, and then saying the word without the separation.
It was a great way for my children to get used to saying words with the “l” blends and spelling them.
Blends Activities for Kids
- Leaf Blends Matching Game
- Graph a Blend
- Blue Bird Sorting Blends
- Consonant Blends Game
- Color & Trace Blends Book
- Snowball Word Blends
- Consonant Blends Puzzles
- Color & Trace Blends Book
- Consonant Blends Clip Cards
- Blends Transportation Word Families
- Spring Intitial Blends Matching Activity
Download Blends Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!