Make learning to sound out L blends FUN with these free printable puzzles. This consonant blends activity is great for helping kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade students learn /l/ blends with l blend words. Simply download pdf file with l consonant blends and you are ready to play and learn with a l blends activity!
Ready for some l blends work? We will work through building and reading /l/ blends words and working on making the correct sound for speach. I love it when two goals can be met in one activity. And these L blend puzzles help use meet both these goals. These l consonant blends are perfect for kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this initial l blends game is sure to be a hit with your students to make learning and reviewing engaging.
l consonant blends
Initial l blends
Like most puzzles, a little bit of prep-work is needed. Print off the puzzle template on card stock paper. (I highly recommend this, I didn’t and they quickly got tore up.) Next, cut the puzzles apart along the solid lines. Finally, if you need them to last over multiple years, I would laminate them. (like in a literacy enter in your classroom)
And that is it. You are ready to go.
L Blend Words
Before bringing out the puzzles, I would introduce you little ones to the sounds. In this phonics blends activity you will be working on the following sounds: bl, cl, fl, gl, pl, sl, blends.
Let them practice saying the sound, and you could even see if they could come up with words that start with those sounds. Once they are familiar with the sounds the blends make, now is a good time to pull out the puzzles.
Using all the puzzles at once maybe a little overwhelming for your child, so I would separate them into piles that won’t overwhelm them. (I sorted them into sandwich bags and just grabbed different ones each day.)
l blends activity
- First, I laid out the pictures and we practiced saying each word…speech goals.
- Next, we broke the word up into sounds. For example, I clearly separated the fl, a, and g sound in the word flag.
- Then, the twins would look for the letters or letter that makes that sound and put them together to complete the puzzle.
- Finally, we would say the word one more time pointing to each sound, and then saying the word without the separation.
It was a great way for my children to get used to saying words with the “l” blends and spelling them.
- TH Worksheets – re-usable activity to help kids work on th sounds
- Mitten Beginning Sounds Matching is a fun Winter Activities for Kindergarten –
- Spring activities Kindergarten for working on consonant blends with digraph blends
- Spelling ch and tch Worksheets for 1st Graders
- Bug Coloring by Blends Worksheets
- Ice Cream Themed Digraph kindergarten summer activities – sneak in some summer learning to improve reading skills with these cute, educational puzzles.
- Clip Cards are a fun Consonant blends activities – help kids learn to combine letters to make digraph sounds
- Spring Initial Blends Worksheets – super cute activity for helping kids master blends
- “nk” Ending Consonant Blends Activity with clip cards
- Graph a blends activities for 2nd graders – fun combination of math and language arts
- Color by blend worksheet – this is a fun way for kids to practice learning blends
- Consonant Blend Cluster Spelling Mats – hands on activity learning blends
- Kindergarten Word Families Sliders – help kids practice sounding out blends in words with this fun, transportation themed reading activity for early readers.
- Reading and Writing qu words Worksheets
- Cut-and-Paste Trigraphs Worksheets
- Color and Read Book with Trigraphs List for practicing trigraphs pr, squ, and str
- Free Readers to Color and Read MORE words from Trigraphs List
- thr words Playdough Mats
- Hot Cocoa Phonics makes fun winter activities for kindergarten
- Phonics Beginning Sounds Worksheets are a NO prep kindergarten worksheets to improve phonics skills.
- Christmas Phonics by making a Christmas trees by putting together words with the same beginning sounds.
First Grade Printables
If you have a 1st grader and you are looking for more fun, hands on grade 1 worksheets, games and activities to make learning fun – you will love these resources!
- Over 5000+ pages of 1st grade Worksheets
- 100 Books 1st Graders can Read Themselves with free 1st grade reading books pdf
- Lots of fun Chapter Books for 1st Graders wth free printable list
- Free Book Report Template to print and use with any book
- Free Cut and Paste Worksheets make learning FUN!
- Solar System Worksheets Pack
- Free Sight Words Printable List
- 1st Grade Word Search Printable
- Free Printable 1st grade math worksheets to print and practice
- Gumball Math Worksheets to practice addition & subtraction
- EPIC, Life-size Human Body Project with free printable template
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of FREE Kindergarten Writing Prompts
- Cut and Paste Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Telling Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE 250+ page Unit with activities, experiments, information, and Ocean Animal Worksheets
- Discover 16 amazing places around the world with these Country worksheets Study
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal printables with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Download Blends Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- You may print as many copies as you ‘d like to use in your classroom, home, or public library.
- Please share by linking to this page. This product may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, 4sShared, Mediafire, email, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!