Next up in our Homeschooling in Illinois series I wanted to share places for you to connect with local support groups.
Getting connected with other Illinois homeschoolers will help you stay current on laws, issues, get deals on field trips, offer support, and meet the socialization piece.
Illinois Homeschooling Groups
- Association of Peoria Area Christian Home Educators (Peoria) APACHE offers Peoria area Home Educators a monthly newsletter, annual convention, used curriculum fair, and various events throughout the year.
- DREAM Homeschool Life Support Group (Elk Grove Village) The new name is DREAM Homeschool Life Support Group. Discussion, Resources, Education, Activities and Mentoring. We are based out the Elk Grove Library, in Elk Grove Village IL
- Bright Eyed Learners (Oswego/Planfield/Joliet) Provides unstructured social activity and field trips for Pre-K to 3rd Grade students.
- Catholic Moms Connect (DuPage County) We’re a group that gets Catholic moms of all ages together for play groups, museum outings, parish events, conferences, bible studies, visits to the park, and much more.
- CHC Christian Homeschool Connection (Champaign/Urbana) A web based support group with meet ups that happen throughout the Champaign/Urbana area. They also have a co-op that meets once a week for elective classes, run by parents.
- Chicagoland Homeschoolers Inclusively Learning and Discovering (DuPage County)
- CHILD is a secular group for families who seek to connect with others for support, ideas, and enjoyment.
- Christian Home Educating Families (CHEF) (Crete) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – CHEF offers Monthly meetings, newsletters, field trips, guest speakers.
- Christian Home Educators of the South Suburbs (Chicago Southern Suburbs) Lots of opportunities throughout the year for all age levels, end of the year used curriculum fair
- Christian Workshops of the Fox Valley (Far West Chicago Suburbs) CWF is a weekly coop that meets on Monday’s in Elgin, IL and includes members from Algonquin, Lake in the Hills, Elgin, South Elgin, St. Charles, and Hanover Park. They offer enrichment classes for preschool through high school students.
- Classical Consortium Academy provides a classical Christian educational experience for homeschooled students in the Northern Illinois area; meets 1 day a week on Mondays during the school year
- College of DuPage Youth Education Homeschool Enrichment (Glen Ellyn)
- College of DuPage Youth Academy offers enrichment classes starting at pre-school age, elementary and middle school, and high school.
- Cornerstone Homeschool Coop (Elgin) Cornerstone is a private Christ-centered cooperative group designed to offer enrichment classes for Preschool-8th grades homeschooling families. They meet 3 Fridays a month from September through May.
- Crestwood Cavalry (Crestwood) Crestwood Cavalry is a homeschool basketball organization.
- Crossroads Area Homeschool Association (Blooomington) CAHSA unites Central Illinois homeschoolers in and around Bloomington/Normal with curriculum resource center, formal homeschool prom, graduation, choir, and many educational activities. There is no cost for membership.
- East Central Illinois Home Educator Network (Meets in Mattoon) Casey, Newton, Farina, Effingham, Charleston, Mattoon, Neoga, Arcola, Shelbyville, Trilla, ECIHEN provides Christian homeschool families monthly support meetings in Mattoon, field trips, parties, and parent’s night outs.
- Eastern DuPage for Godly Education (Lombard) EDGE is a Christian homeschool support group in DuPage county Illinois. There is a weekly co-op on Fridays for Gym & Enrichment which is based in south Lombard. Members are from Villa Park, Elmhurst, Wheaton, Oak Brook, Carol Stream, Westmont, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Lombard, and Warrenville.
- Evanston Home Educators (Evanston) Support, ideas, information, and opportunities for Evanston Homeschooling Families.
- Family of Christian Home Educators (St. Clair County, Macoupin County, as well as Madison County) FOCHE is a Christian, family-oriented homeschool group whose membership can be found in St. Clair County, Macoupin County, as well as Madison County. They meet bi-monthly for activities.
- G.I.F.T Homeschoolers (Elgin) Christian non-profit enrichment program, organized by volunteers
- Grassroots Homeschoolers H.O.U.S.E. (Matteson) Offers meetings on the 1st and 3rd Wed from Sept through June, a monthly newsletter, field trips, clubs, activities, and more.
- Greenhouse Home Educators (Dupage County and surrounding areas) Greenhouse Home Educators offers structured weekly classes and extra curricular activities.
- Hallstrom Homeschool Workshops (Rockford) Hallstrom is a large co-op of Christian parents and teachers offering over 100 classes to homeschooling children ages K-12.
- Heritage Homeschools Workshops (Elgin) Meets every Monday for enrichment classes
- Highland Hope’s Family Homeschool Group (Highland) Email: email@example.com A Christian-based homeschool group.
- Home Educated Teen Group (McHenry and Lake County IL) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org All home educated teens (ages 13-18) group providing projects, field trips, classes, plan and community service events.
- Home Oriented Unique Schooling Experience (state wide) H.O.U.S.E. is a statewide network of support groups for people involved in homeschooling.
- Home Schoolers Social Club (Mattoon and surrounding areas) Email: email@example.com – Group of homeschoolers who do extracurricular activities like field trips
- Homeschool Resource Center (Monee) The Homeschool Resource Center provides information, encouragement, fellowship, and resources to Christian homeschooling families.
- Homeschool-Illinois (Oak Lawn) Homeschool-Illinois is an online support group for the discussion of topics related to homeschooling in Illinois and surrounding states.
- Homeschool Kingdom (Villa Park) – Christian homeschool co-op with elective classes and gym for ages 4-18. Nursery available.
- Homeschool Village (Streamwood) Homeschool Village is a place to connect with local Christian homeschooling families in person as well as virtually. A place where you can seek out support or advice, make lasting relationships for you and your child/ren and stay up to date with what is happening in the local homeschool community.
- Homeschool Village Enrichment Program (Bartlett) – HSVE is committed to providing Christian families with a high quality, low cost enrichment program that compliments the home schooling experience and provides a safe and nurturing environment for children and their families to grow in learning and fellowship with other Christian homeschoolers. Meet on Fridays for 28 weeks a year.
- H.O.U.S.E. by the Lake (Northeast Chicago and Cook County) Networking and support for local homeschooling families.
- Ignite Debate Camp (Warrenville) Kids ages 13-18 will practice critical thinking skills and public speaking.
- IL Teen and Family Activities (State of IL and surrounding areas) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Support group for homeschoolers that offers activities and major events year-round for teens, and pre-teens including the Snowflake Ball, Valentine Dinner Dance, Spring Prom, Summer Luau, Costumed Murder Mysteries, Holiday Parties, Bowling, Ice and Roller Skating, Movies, Museum Outings, Jean Dances, etc.
- Illiana Homeschool Cooperative (Northeast Illinois) Provides socialization and educational opportunities.
- Ilinois Online High School IOHS is a privately-funded high school homeschool. They offer independent homeschool 100% free, and supervised homeschool for $32 per half credit.
- Illinois Christian Communicators – Chicago CHARGE (Naperville) Email: email@example.com – Illinois Christian Communicators provides activities – classes, camps, and competitions for students ages 7 – 19. Chicago CHARGE is a club/team which meets weekly September to June.
- Illinois Christian Home Educators ICHE offers all Illinois home educators encouragement and resources. ICHE offers an annual Convention in Naperville, IL in early June. Another major event ICHE coordinates is a family camp, usually in September.
- Illinois Home Education
- Illinois HOUSE nonsectarian (non religious) Information on homeschooling in the state of Illinois.
- Illinois Homeschoolers for Open Peaceful Education (I-HOPE) (Rockford) A group of homeschooling families working together to provide supplemental classes and other enrichment activities for homeschoolers.
- Illinois Impact Basketball and Sports Program The Illinois Impact basketball program is for homeschooled boys and girls of all ages.
- Jackson County Home Educators (Jackson County) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org– Meetings every other month, activities, field trips, email network.
- Kankakee Christian Home Educators (Kankakee) Group experiences that could not be achieved as a single-family unit.
- Lake County HOUSE (Lake County) Support and information for homeschooling families as well as providing socialization and shared educational opportunities for our children. (non religious)
- Liberty Liberal Arts Academy – A Private Christian Hybrid School in Bartlett IL
- Life Long Exploration and Play Cooperative (DuPage Co, IL) LEAP provides social and academic enrichment activities to homeschoolers in the DuPage area.
- Lincoln Area Homeschoolers (Lincoln) A group for home educators in the Lincoln, IL area.
- Loving Moms for Nature and Outdoor Play (Jo Daviess County Illinois) LMNOP is a group for parents who want to get their family out into the green! We are talking forest preserves, organic farm days, wildlife refuge, community gardens, the beach. Once a month we’ll dive into a natural setting.
- Many Rivers Unschoolers (Naperville, Aurora, Joliet and surrounding communities) An all-inclusive unschooling support group of families from Will County, DuPage County and surrounding counties in the west, far west, and southwest suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Meets weekly in Plainfield, Illinois and for other special events.
- Metro East Catholic Home Educators (MECHE) (Belleville and Scott Air Force Base) Email: email@example.com– Catholic homeschool support group includes field trips, first Friday masses, geography night, etc.
- Metro-East Secular Homeschoolers (Glen Carbon, Edwardsville, Troy, Fairview Heights, and O’Fallon) Secular group that get together for playdates, fieldtrips and other activities.
- Mid-Illinois Cooperative Adventures in Homeschooling (Decatur) MICAH is an inclusive, nonsectarian, homeschooling support group in the greater Decatur, Illinois area offering co-op classes.
- Mosaic Enrichment (Greater Joliet Area) MOSAIC meets weekly on Mondays offering enrichment classes, music lessons, outings, and a strong support system for homeschoolers K-12.
- Northside Unschoolers Group (Serving Chicago) NUG is a support group for homeschooling families that provides activities, classes and field trips for the group.
- Off the Beaten Path (Lake County) Connecting un-schoolars to interest led opportunities.
- Our Lady Queen of Peace Home Schooling Group (Northwest suburbs of Chicago) Catholic homeschooling group offering clubs, field trips, group prayer opportunities, support meetings, social opportunities, and holiday parties for our members.
- Peoria Area Homeschoolers (Central area)
- PAH provides an opportunity for members to provide support, playdates, field trips, and networking opportunities to each other.
- Plainfield Homeschool Group (Serving Plainfield / Joliet and surrounding areas) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org– The Plainfield Homeschool Group offers support, annual events and many field trip opportunities throughout the year. (non religious)
- Potters Hand Home School Group (New Lenox) Monthly “Activity Days” provide several classes for kindergarten through 12th grade students. These classes vary and can include topics such as gym, meteorology, reptiles, cooking, occupational info, and professional “assembly-style” programs. Monthly newsletter lists field trips, contests, events, activities.
- Positive Connections Homeschoolers (St. Charles) Meet-ups for social and educational opportunities
- Riverbend Christian Home Educators Coalition (Alton Area Churches) Meets September through May on the first Friday of every month (parties in Dec, Feb, and April), Bowl on the 4th Friday of each month and have Sign Language, Choir & PE on most Thursdays. Also monthly fieldtrips, annual Science/History/Geography fair and End of Year celebration talent show & diplomas.
- Rockford FIRE Sports Program (Rockford) The Rockford FIRE Sports Program operates under the guidance of Hallstrom Home School Workshops to offer competitive sports teams including boys’ basketball (grade 5-12), girls’ volleyball (grade 7-12) and a co-ed high school golf team.
- Sauk Valley Christian Home Educators (Sterling, Rock Falls, & Dixon) Email: email@example.com– Christian group that meets 6 times per semester in the fall & spring for activities, field trips and seasonal parties.
- Scott Area Military Home Educators (Scott AFB) SAMHE is a group of Christian, military, homeschooling families that live on or near Scott AFB. Base access is required.
- South Suburban Home School & Gym Group, Inc. (Chicago Heights) Christian-based group organized to meet the physical education needs of homeschool families in the south suburbs. Meets weekly on Monday mornings throughout the nine-month school year.
- Splendor of Truth Catholic Home Educators (SOTCHE) – Homeschooling Catholic families on the IL/WI border: from southeastern Wisconsin to northeastern Illinois (Racine, WI to Lake Bluff, IL and from Lake Michigan to McHenry County, IL). Activities include field trips, Co-op, gym classes, support meetings for moms and moms’ book club, to name
- St. Clair County Christian Home Educators (St. Chair County) Monthly meetings for networking with other Christian parents and organized activities for the families who join SCCCHE.
- Teaching Homes for Christ (Dupage/Kane County) Monthly meetings for encouragement and support. THC has a library of homeschool materials for families to check out. Field trips are organized throughout the year. Annual fair, picnic, book sale, talent show.
- The Learning Vine Christian Enrichment Co-op (Naperville) A Christian homeschool extension program that meets at Community Christian Church in Naperville, IL offering academic and enrichment classes for all levels including math, science, literature, history, music, art, karate, gym, voice, language arts, and life skills.
- Tri-Cities Enrichment Coop (La Fox) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org– Christian homeschool group of families who meet on Tuesdays in La fox, IL (5 minutes west of Randall Road on Rt. 38) for homeschool enrichment classes.
- Tri-County Christian Home Educators (Yorkville) Christian Based group whose goal is to support other homeschooling families in their quest to raise, and educate their children as God has called them to do.
- WaVaHo · Wabash Valley Homeschool Association (Terre Haute / Indiana area) Eclectic homeschool group encompassing very different backgrounds and teaching styles. Weekly gym time, some organized activities and classes, group field trips and parties.
- West Suburban Home School Band (aka The Patriots) (W, NW, SW suburbs, primarily DuPage and parts of Will, Kane,and Cook counties) Homeschool bands for students 9 to 19 that accommodates those with no musical training whatsoever to those with advanced experience and abilities. The levels are Cadet, Concert Junior, Concert Senior and Symphonic. There is also The Patriots Marching Band that performs during the summer, and The Little Patriots marching corps for younger siblings.
- Wheaton Area Homeschoolers (Wheaton) This is a group for moms and kids to connect and create friendships with other Christian homeschoolers in the area. Our meetups include park and play dates, field trips, holiday parties, and volunteer opportunities.
Your Illinois public library should also have information on home-school groups in your area as well as state-wide or national home schooling association. Your library would also have information on home-schooling magazines and books.
Don’t underestimate the importance of online resources and support!
We are so blessed to homeschool in a day and age when there are so many amazing blogs out there! Homeschooling parents who take the time to write down their creative ideas, encouragement, and to allow us all to take a peak into their daily lives. For a great list to get you started with online resources check out 13 Homeschool Blogs you should be following.
- ICHE (Illinois Christian Home Educators) – Christian homeschool convention in Naperville typically in June.
- In-Home Conference (affiliated with H.O.U.S.E groups) non-sectarian homeschool convention
- Chicago Homeschool Expo (Tinley Park) – typically in May
- Heart of Illinois Convention for Home Educators organized by APACHE (Peoria) – homeschool convention typically in April
Homeschooling in Illinois: Laws you Need to Know
Homeschooling in Illinois: 100+ Fieldtrip & Enrichment Ideas
Homeschooling in Illinois: Getting Connected with Support Groups
Homeschooling in Illinois: Go here for Homeschooling Supplies