Do your kids love making perler bead craft projects? My preschool, pre k, kindergarten, first grade, and 2nd grade children love using melty beads to create fun animals and characters by moving the small, colorful fuse beads onto a template and then ironing to melt them together. For this perler bead bowl project we used our colorful perler beads to make a beautiful, decorative bowl. This is so pretty to decorate your home, as a DIY Christmas present kids can make themselves, or just a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Perler Bead Bowl
Do your children like creating perler bead crafts? The big bin of colorful little beads seems to call to them! Using them with template is a great way to work on fine motor skills and pincer grasp, but today we were looking for a bigger, quicker, and easier craft using perler beads. This perler bead bowl project couldn’t be any easier! To make this easy Christmas craft for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students you will need several cups of perler beads (also know as fushion beads)! They are cheap, easy to work with, and the options for creating creative crafts for kids are endless!
Perler Bead Craft
You can make this craft with just one or two colors to make a bowl decorative bowl craft to match your room decor, but we decided to use the big bucket with lots of colors in various shades. So before we start, let your kiddo dig their hands in and enjoy the sensory feel of all those tiny beads.
This super easy melty beads project for kids is so simple. Here is what you need:
- 1-2 cups fuse beads
- small glass bowl
- oven, pot holders, and adult supervision =)
Fuse Bead Craft
We preheated the oven to 375 F. Then we buttered the smallest glass mixing bowl we had (think 6” diameter). The kids helped place the beads in the bowl and up the sides in a single layer. For this project you really don’t want it to be too thick so stick to a single, carefully placed layer of fuse beads.
Hint: The butter not only helps the bowl pop right out, but it also makes the beads stick up the sides too making it easier for toddlers, preschoolers, and kindergarten age kids to help!
Easy Crafts for Kids
We tried this twice. (here is our first one)
We found that cooking it longer (like 20 minutes or so) gave us a “prettier” bowl. The beads were more melted and created a more seamless bowl. (there were no small holes like in the one above).
Hint: The perler beads really didn’t smell or smoke while they were cooking. I was surprised! But as always, watch them carefully and check them frequently for your desired “doneness”
Crafts with Perler Beads
Above is our second and favorite bowl. See how there are no holes, but a seamless, colorful wall of melted plastic perler beads.
Christmas Craft for Kids
Here you can see the bottom of our favorite bowl – see how pretty and seamless it is. The colors are just stunning. The back one has small holes – still nice, but I’d advice cooking it 20 minutes.
This pretty bowl would make a great kid made gift for Grandparents or to keep as a candy bowl, spare change spot, candy bowl, and a lot of other uses.
Christmas Books for Kids
Looking for some fun Christmas picture books to add to your collection. These are some of our favorite children’s Christmas books to read in December.
Christmas Crafts for Kids
- Perler Bead Craft Picture Frame
- Paper Wreath Christmas Craft
- Pom Pom Ornament
- Colorful Ornament Perler Bead Craft
- 19 Grinch Crafts for Kids
- Sharpie Suncatcher Christmas Craft
- Craft Stick Christmas Tree Craft
- Star Perler Bead Christmas Craft
Looking for ideas for fun Christmas learning with free Christmas printables? Check out these fun resources:
- Fun Christmas Playdough Mats
- Free Christmas Around the World Worksheets
- Alphabet Ornaments to trace and erase
- HUGE Pack of Christmas Worksheets for Preschool
- Christmas Science Experiments
- Stringing Lights Christmas Math Activities learning Patterns with playdough
- Free Christmas Tracing Sheets
- Find the Letter Free Christmas Worksheets
- Gingerbread Man Rhyme Puzzles
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt Online Free
- Cute Christmas Sight Word Worksheets
- Free Christmas Hundreds Chart Mystery Picture Worksheets
- Christmas Dot to Dot
- Christmas Alphabet Game
Christmas Activities for Kids
Looking for more fun Christmas printables, Christmas Crafts, and Christmas activities to fill your holiday calendar? Check out these fun ideas!
- Free Christmas Bingo Printable
- Printable Christmas Pictionary
- This Puffy Gingerbread Paint smells AMAZING!
- FUN Rudolph Race Game for kids with balloons
- Christmas Crafts for Kids book with over 100 Christmas Activities, Crafts, and Recipes for families to enjoy together during the month of December.
- Easy-to-Make Puffy Snow Paint
- Printable Hat Preschool Christmas Crafts
- Precious Snowman Handprint Ornament
- Beautiful Melted Crayon Ornaments
- Printable Christmas Names Cards with jokes
- How to Make Salt Dough Christmas Ornaments
- Simple Paper Strip Christmas Tree Ornament
- Epic Grinch Themed Party
- Puffy Gingerbread Ornament Recipe
- See all of our Christmas for kids crafts, activities, recipes, and printables here!