Great ready to celebrate Columbus Day for kids with these super cute, fun, and clever Columbus Day crafts and columbus day activities. Use these fun Christopher Columbus day preschool crafts with toddler, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade and up. These Christopher Columbus craft projects and activities are such a fun extension to a history lesson on early explorers talking about how Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492.
Columbus Day for Kids
Columbus Day is observed on the second Monday in October and it invites us to reflect on the historic voyage of Christopher Columbus in 1492. Christopher Columbus sought out the King and Queen of Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella, to fund his voyage to the East Indies going west to reach the East because Columbus was convinced the earth was round and it would be as shortcut to reach the spices to trade with Asia. So in 1492 Columbus sailed with the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria through the Atlantic Ocean and ended up in the Caribbean. While he did not actually discover America, it marked the beginning of exploration and colonization of North America.
Columbus Day is a great opportunity for parents, and educators to introduce their kids to the concept of exploration, cultural exchange, and the diversity of our world. These super cute and fun Columbus Day Crafts are a great way to remember and learn about this historic event with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, and grade 2 students. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – this huge list of creative Columbus Day crafts and ideas is perfect for engaging young learners!
Columbus Day Crafts
These fun to make, easy Columbus Day crafts are perfect for kids of all ages. Recreate the three ships that made the voyage using a variety of simple craft supplies, or try the STEM Columbus Day activity and see if you can construct a boat that floats, as well as lots more fun Columbus Day craft projects for kids.
- Columbus Day Boat Craft from Reel Mama.
Recreate one of the ships that made the voyage with this fun triple sail boat craft.
- Columbus Day Boats Craft from Crayon Freckles.
Make all three of Columbus’s ships with this fun paper craft idea.
- Columbus Day Ship in a Bottle Craft from Teach-a-Roo.
Grab this free Columbus Day activity and have a go at making this clever craft.
- Columbus Day Lacing Craft from Mrs. T. First Grade Class.
The free printable templates make this a super easy Columbus Day craft to make!
- Wood Stick Ship Craft from Craft Project Ideas.
Older kids will love the creative STEAM challenge of making Columbus’s Ships from craft sticks!
- Milk Cartoon Spanish Galleon from DLTK
Save your milk cartons to make this super cool galleon craft project.
- Columbus Day Spice Painting from My Very Educated Mama.
Create one of Columbus’s ships with this super cool spice painting technique.
- Old World Map Craft from Elementary Shennanigans.
Kids will love painting their own ‘new world’ maps for Columbus Day.
- Voyage in a Bottle from Crayola.
Older kids will love the challenge to make this voyage in a bottle craft to recognise Columbus Day.
- Mixed Media Columbus Day Craft from I Heart Crafty Things.
The kids will love making this fun Columbus Day collage art.
Columbus Day Preschool Crafts
Choose one of these easy and fun Columbus Day crafts for preschool to make with your kids. Many of these simple preschool crafts are also perfect Columbus Day crafts for toddlers, and older kids will love them too! Preschoolers will love making their own Columbus hat craft, and don’t miss the adorable Columbus Day ship hand art projects!
- Columbus Day Coffee Filter Boat Craft from Glued to my Craft.
This simple craft makes a great Columbus Day activity for toddlers, preschoolers and older kids!
- Handprint Sailboat from Fun Handprint Art.
This cute handprint project is a great activity for Columbus Day.
- Christopher Columbus Handprint Craft from MomDot.
This is another super fun and simple handprint craft for Columbus Day.
- Columbus Day Egg Carton Boats from Fun Littles.
Preschoolers will love making these cute boats that really float!
- Make your own working telescope from Gift of Curiosity.
Make this fun telescope and have fun pretending to be Columbus sailing the seas!
- Make a Paper Boat from Kids Activities Blog.
Everyone will have fun making these folded paper boats and sailing them on ‘the ocean blue’ or in the bath!
- Egg Cup Ships from Fun Family Crafts.
Make your own mini versions of the Nina, Pinta, and the Santa Maria from egg cartons!
- Easy Paper Boat Craft from I Heart Crafty Things.
This is a fun and simple boat craft that is perfect for Columbus Day.
- Paper Hat Craft from Doodle Craft.
This is an easy to make origami hat that is perfect for Columbus Day.
Christopher Columbus Crafts
Get creative with these Christopher Columbus crafts for kids. Make a hat and spyglass and pretend to be Christopher Columbus with these fun craft
- Make A Columbus Day Hat and Spy Glass from Layers of Learning.
This super cute Columbus Day printable craft is packed with lots of extra learning!
- DIY Compass Rose Craft from Kids Activities Blog.
Learn about how a compass works and how Christopher Columbus navigated while you make this fun craft.
- Sailing Around the World Craft from Teacher’s Mag.
This fun craft idea shows how Columbus sailed around the world
- Columbus Day Activities and Crafts from Children Exploring Purpose.
Have fun making your own spy glass and Christopher Columbus hat!
- Laundry Basket Mailboat from No Time for Flashcards.
Your kids will love helping you make this fun boat so they can act out Columbus’s journey!
Columbus Day Activities
Help kids engage with history with these fun Columbus Day activities for kindergarten. Don’t miss the Columbus themed snack ideas, and lots of great, hands-on, history activities for your kindergarteners to try.
- Columbus Day Snack from Creative Kids Snacks.
Make a yummy, educational snack to add to your Columbus Day theme.
- Muffin Tin Monday- Columbus Day Boats from JDaniel4’s Mom.
Here’s another great Columbus Day themed snack to try!
- Ship’s Logbook Project from Adventures in a Messy Life.
This fun craft project is a great way to learn about early explorers.
- Early Explorers for Kids -hands on history unit from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Kids of all ages will have fun learning about early explorers with these hands-on history lessons.
- Columbus Day Songs and Activities from Tips from a Typical Mom.
Preschoolers will love learning these songs for Columbus Day.
- Columbus Day Boat Races from Mrs T’s First Grade Class.
This is a super fun Columbus Day STEM activity – see which boat arrives first!
Columbus Day Worksheets
These printable Columbus day activities will make learning about Columbus Day easy! Print some fun Columbus Day coloring pages, or try some Columbus Day worksheets.
- Free Columbus Day Printables from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
This free printable pack includes coloring pages and creative writing prompts
- October Coloring Pages from Preschool Play and Learn.
This free printable pack includes a fun Columbus read color and trace worksheet and lots more October themed pages.
- US States for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me.
Learn about the history and more of the United States
- Free Christopher Columbus Pack from 3 Dinosaurs
This fabulous free printable pack is full of lots of Columbus day activities for kids!
- Explorers Notebook from Homeschool Share.
Learn about Columbus and other explorers with this free printable pack.