Summer is the perfect time to cool off by geting wet! Here are some REALLY fun water games for kids to have fun playing all summertime! From a water xylophone to a rocket, waterballoon games, and water science, these water activities for kids are sure to deligh! Try these outdoor water play ideas for kids of all ages from toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders.
Water Games for Kids
School is out and it’s time to have some fun! And nothing says summer fun for kids like water games for kids! These fun activities with water are perfect for cooling off while trying some outrageously fun water activities for kids! From pool noodle water wall to painting with ice, water science to water balloon games, rockets, and educational activities – these summer activities for preschoolers, toddlers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students are perfect for fun in June, July, and August!
Before the kids start yelling “I’m bored” get inspired with some of these great water play activities. You can cool off while building a water wall, playing with bubbles, shooting off bottle rockets, or playing with water beads. There are lots of great ideas to choose from!
Water Activities for Kids
Summer is the perfect time to do all those fun activities that seem to slip through the cracks during the school year. This collection of 20 water play activities will keep your kids learning and exploring through the hot summer months. You won’t have kids complaining of boredom with these fun ideas.
- Pool Noodle Water Wall from Teaching Mama – Do your kids like pouring water? This Pool Noodle Water Wall is a great way to encourage water play with a STEM activity twist.
- Swamp Water Bin Sensory Play from Sugar Aunts – Sensory bins are known for being beneficial for kids of all ages for so many reasons. Even the most simple sensory bin can help children strengthen language, fine motor, creativity and so much more.
- Rainbow Water Xylophone from Mama Papa Bubba – You know when you tap on the side of a glass with water in it, it makes a beautiful noise? Why not combine multiple jars, with multiple levels of water to make beautiful music!
- Water Balloon Expeirment from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Will water balloons float? Will they dance? Find out with this fun Water Balloon Experiment!
- Rainbow Bubbles from Gift of Curiosity – Bubbles are exciting all on their own, but Rainbow Bubbles? YES PLEASE! This fun outdoor activity will have kids giggling for hours!
- Water Balloon Phonics from Mess for Less – Phonics are incredibly important for kindergarten and first grade students to learn & practice. Why not add in some water balloons to make practicing even more exciting? This will help get the extra summer energy out, too!
- Water Bead Sensory Science from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Water Beads are squishy, slimy, bouncy and colorful. They are science and sensory combined in the most fascinating way. This sensory science can be done inside or out!
- Colored Water Transfer Play from Hands On as we grow – Color mixing is a great way for children to help strengthen their knowledge of all colors. This science and sensory color activity is a great way to learn this outdoors!
- Water Drop Races from What do we do all day? – If you’re looking for a simple water activity that can be done outside or in your kitchen? Grab some straws and get racing!
- Bottle Rocket from Science Sparks – Kids love rockets and explosions. Whe it is safe, they can be super fun and lead to a great STEM lesson!
- Water Balloon Target Practice from Posh Lil Divas – Throwing water balloons alone is fun but add in some competition and it’s even better! This Target Practice is the perfect fun competition for kids & their water balloons!
Outdoor water play
With so many fun ways to play with water, what one will you try first? tell me about your water play activities!
- Clouds & Rain Fine Motor Practice from Mom Inspired Life – Droppers are a fun addition to this cotton ball cloud & rain activity. Fine motor skills will be strengthened and STEM will be explored!
- Ice Cube Painting from Paging Fun Mums! – Ice Cube Painting is the perfect outdoor, summer art project! It’s refreshing when it’s hot and an extra fun way to explore colors!
- Epic Water Games for Kids – They will LOVE these EPIC ideas!
- Cup & Water Race from Mess for Less – Another great way to incorporate fun, healthy competition into your kids summer day!
- How to Make Sponge Bombs from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Sponge Bombs are the perfect water balloon alternative. These are super simple to make and will last the whole season long!
- Rainbow Bubble Snakes from Housing a Forest – Have you heard of bubble snakes? These are pure bubble magic if you ask me. Add in the rainbow colors and this is the perfect summer activity to encourage giggles and “WOOOW”s!
- Fairy Soup Pretend Play from Artsy Momma – Your little fairy will love this pretend play sensory activity. Children will be encouraged to use their imagination with this calming, water based play activity!
- Fireworks in a Jar from I Can Teach My Child – Fireworks are the quintessential summer event, but it only happens a few times a season. Reach for this Fireworks in a Jar activity if you are looking for fireworks without the big show.
- Erupting Rainbows Water Activities for Kids – STEM Eruptions & Rainbows. What more could kids want on a summer afternoon?
- Water Bottle Fountain from Learn with Play at Home – Give your kids a simple summer challenge of making a fountain from a water bottle. It’s not overly complicated and the results are so exciting!
- Sensory Water Bag Fun from Momma’s Fun World – Move over slip n slide, this water bag is the backyard water play your kids will beg for!
- Frozen Chalk 123homeschool4me – Sidewalk chalk is a summer no brainer. Step it up a notch and add a frozen element. Sidewalk art will never be the same!
- Ice Boat Races Water Activities for Kids from 123 Homeschool 4 Me – Not only will kids explore STEM while making Ice Boats, but then they get to race them. They will have loads of fun, competing against each other. At least until their boats melt!
Looking for more outdoor activities for kids and things to do in the summer? Your toddler, preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and elementary age kids will love these fun ideas to keep them busy all summer long:
- Marshmallow Shooters – go over 30 feet!
- 2 ingredient Easy Slime Recipe
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – it’s super EASY!
- Kids will no nuts over this simple Pop Rock Experiment
- Handprint Strawberry Craft for Summer
- Grow Your Own Crystals
- Water Balloon Experiment – exploring densit with an EPIC summer activity for kids
- Amazing Bubble Painting
- Mind Blowing Color Changing Playdough
Summer Activities for Kids
- Egg Shell DIY Chia Pet Craft – Silly Spring / Summer Activities for Kids
- Grass Head Craft for Kids
- Blow GIANT bubbles with this Homemade Bubble Solution
- Outrageously FUN Bubble Painting
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Fireworks Craft
- Beautiful Flower Suncatcher Craft
- 30 Fun June Crafts for Kids
- Must try Lego Zipline
- Exploding Watermelon Science Experiment
- Homemade Chalk Recipe
- 75+ FUN Scavenger Hunts for Kids
- Find activities by month with our June Crafts for kids or our June Activities for Kids!
- Amazing Bubble Art for Kids
Fun Summer Activities for Kids
- Ice Cream Edible Playdough
- Whip up a batch of Kool Aid Playdough – it smells amazing!
- I Spy DIY Bottles are quick, easy and FUN!
- Amazing Tin Foil Art Project for Kids of all Ages
- Vinegar and Baking Soda Rocket Science Experiment for Kids
- Summer Bucket List Printable with Ice Cream Theme
- How to Make Ice Cream in a Bag
- Ice Cream Playdough Patterns
- Head to the zoo with this FREE Zoo Scavenger Hunt – lots of choices for all ages!
- Make your favorite animal with one of these 100 animal crafts
- Try one of these fun Animal I Spy Printables
- Epic Squirt Gun Painting
- Play with your food using this goldfish counting activity
- After seeing the frogs at the pond, grab this free life cycle of a frog worksheet
- Avoid the summer learning loss by practicing math with these crack the code worksheets
- First Day of Summer Craft
- Create this gorgeous stained glass art for kids
- 107 Epic Summer Activities for Kids