Practice makes perfect when kids are learning how to count money. First they need to recognize which American coins are which. Then they need to know what each coins is worth. Finally they need to learn to add up various amounts from coins.
This fun money game for kids is inspired by The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. It has various ways to play so that it is appropriate for Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade kids.
Money Games for Kids
This is such a fun, simple money game for up to 4 kids! Just print, laminate, and follow the directions for either version for Preschool-3rd grade.
Note: It works great for kids of various levels to play together.
Besides the free printable hungry caterpillars money games below, you’ll need one dice and play money.
The money sorting mat (pictured above) is especially helpful for Preschool and Kindergarten age kids just learning to recognize money.
Younger children play the game by completing their “shopping list” and paying for the food by using the coins needed guide. They do not need to count more than 1-4. They will match the money picture with the coin to pay for their caterpillars food.
Older children (1st-3rd grade) will have fun practicing counting money as they try to get their caterpillar the most food.
Not only was it LOTS of fun to play, but it was great practice too!
See Hungry Caterpillar Money Games in Action
More Money Activities for Kids
- Money Mini Book
- All About Money - Cut & Paste Book
- Money Puzzles
- Money Worksheets
- 25 Money Games for Kids
- Money Clip Cards
- Robot Money Practice
Download Hungry Caterpillar Money GamesBy downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics purchased and used with permission from My Clipart Store and Teaching in the Tongass
- This is not a licensed product, it was inspired by the book only.
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!