This fun, free printable pumpkin word family sliders are sure to be a hit!
These color and black and white sliders are great for preschool, kindergarten, and 1st grade kids.
Plus I love that they have a picture to connect with the words.
Pumpkin Word Family SlidersDeveloping confidence with word families is super helpful for young children learning to read. It helps them understand how sounds are put together and how we can manipulate the sounds to quickly make new words and meanings.
Switching out the beginning letter lets them practice this skill even if they only have a short time, or if they have a short attention span. These sweet pumpkins are great for fall and they also encourage kids to use their fine motor skills.
- Download these free Pumpkin Word Family Sliders (below)
- Print off either the color or black and white pumpkins and word slides. Use card to stiffen it a bit, or laminate for durability.
- Cut slits in the pumpkins using the dotted lines as guides.
- Thread the word or picture strips through the bottom slit from the back, then slide it into the top slit from the front.
- Children slide the word and picture strips up and down until the word matches the picture.
- Make sure children read the words out loud as they make them.
- Another option is to make a word (but not say it) and then ask your child to find the picture; or give them a picture and ask them to make the correct word.
Are you looking for more free word family fun? Try these.
- Word Jump Board Game
- Word Family Origami Pinwheel
- CVC Words in a Matchbox
- 20 FREE Kindergarten Word Family Sliders
- FREE Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Ice Cream Shop Word Endings (freebie)
Download FREE Pumpkin Word Family SlidersBefore you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.
Founder of Liz's Early Learning Spot, Australian Early Childhood teacher, mom, audiobook queen, lover of beach and bush walks. You can also find me on: Facebook and Pinterest