Looking for a fun, educational spring activities for kindergarten? Make your own rainbow abacus to help toddler, preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, and first grade students practice counting wiht a abacus activity. This rainbow activity for kids doubles as both a rainbow craft and a hands-on rainbow math where children will work on counting. We used our to count to 10, count to 50, count to 70, count to 100, and as a skip counting activity too. Plus this Rainbow activities for kindergarten is easy to make with common craft supplies!
Spring is just around the corner! Finally!!! That means we get more sunshine, trips to the park, and rainbow crafts and playful rainbow activities for kids. This Rainbow Math is a fun way for toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and grade 1 students to practice not only counting, but skip counting. This abacus activity is perfect for working on counting to 10, from 1-70, and by 10s. Plus it makes such a pretty spring activity for kindergartners too!
Whether you are a parent looking for a spring math activity, a teacher looking for a fun math center in your classroom, or a homeschooler looking to add an engaging activity to supplement your homeschool math – this this the perfect project to choose!
Abacus craft project
You need a few common craft supplies to make this DIY Abacus:
- pipe cleaners (one each in all the rainbow colors)
- pony beads (10 in each color to coordinate with pipe cleaners)
- white playdough
- surface (to affix your project too like an art tray)
You need one of each of the following pipe cleaners in order and cut them at an angle so that the purple pipe cleaner is cut the shortest and the red pipe cleaner is not cut at all.
- lilac or dark blue
- light blue
Now put 10 coordinating color beads on each of the pipe cleaners.
Rainbow activities for kindergarten
Now put a blob of playdough on a surface (we used these art trays) and stick one side of the pipe cleaner in the dough in order. Now put another blob of playdough on the surface and stick the other end of the pipe cleaners in the other side.
You may need to trim additional pipe cleaners to get them to lay correctly.
Spring activities for kindergarten
Younger children can just count each color to reinforce counting from 1-20.
Kindergarten and 1st grade kids can count all the way from 1-70 by ones and then count by 10s.
This is such a fun way for kids to practice counting by 10s.
HINT: With other children use this to help them conceptualize skip counting. Put 2 beads on each color. Then you can count by 2’s. Next put 5 beads on each color and skip count by 5’s. This is such a great visual for kids to understand skip counting!
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Umbrella Handprint Craft
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- EASY Egg geode experiment for kids of all ages!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Flower Parts of a plant flip book
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Spring Multiplication Math Craft
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Umbrella Color Sorting Activity with Fruit Loops
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Umbrella ABC Matching Game
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners
Leave a Reply