The (Absurd) Socialization Argument
So you are looking for social activities for homeschoolers? There are lots of fun, simple and effective ways to make friends even if you are a homeschooler putting to bed the homeschooling and socialization debate!
- buy groceries
- take food to a neighbor who had a baby
- mow an elderly neighbors grass
- visit grandparents
- check books out at the library
- deposit or withdraw money from the bank
- mail a package
- go to church
- serve in your community with a local food pantry or meals on wheels
- attend church
- play at the park
- the park – great chance to practice meeting new people, taking turns, leadership, and interacting with others you may not naturally “click” with
- church programs – Sunday school, Awana, VBS, and other church programs are a great way to interact with various people of your same age in a controlled setting like school
- park district program – great chance to meet other kids with similar interests from a variety of backgrounds
- classes – signing up for a class in art, music, gymnastics, Spanish, robotics, etc. is a great way to not only enrich your child’s education, but to interact with other kids
- co-op – there are many coops you can find searching online for other homeschools who want to do field-trips, playdates, classes, gym time, etc. with other kids
- camp – for those that want to give their kids a chance to develop some independence, they can sign up for summer camp to have an amazing experience with other kids
- serving together – kids will make friends with others who also have a heart for serving others
- groups – 4H, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, choral, basket ball and band groups are all great ways for kids to have a chance to interact with others their age and develop friendships based on mutual interests
- play dates – arranging time to spend with a certain friend or family is a great way to foster deeper, authentic friendships that will last.
Social groups for homeschoolers
To be honest, a lot of homeschoolers find they focus so much on finding lots of fun socialization opportunities for kids that they over due it and eventually have to scale back. And again, thinking back to your relationships, is okay. Most adults interact with their family, those in their community, coworkers, and a couple close friends. Most of us don’t have the big, elaborate social schedule we think kids need!
My goal is to help my kids know how to navigate social situations they will encounter as an adult, to be respectful of all even if they don’t agree, to be able to carry on a conversation with people of all ages, and how to form deep meaningful relationships with others whose company they enjoy.
Free Homeschool Worksheets
And no matter what you choose – we are here to help! We have over 1 milliion free worksheets, games, and activities for students Prek-8th grade. You can see printables by grade; simply click on the thumnails below :
Or find my free school worksheets by subject – click on a thumbnail below:
Each of these pages are filled with so many resources, you can’t download a pdf file of everything at once (you may laugh, but many have asked!).
- Click on the grade thumbnail
- Scroll to find the resource that works for your student / family and click on picture or title
- See the complete resource and if that was what you are looking for, go to the bottom of the post and click on the text link that says >> Download << OR for subscriber freebies just enter your email address in the box to confirm subscription and download. Easy Peasy! So many freebies in one place – take your time and browse -It’s all FREE!
Whatever you decide, know we homeschoolers are happy to help. Your teachers are here to help. We all need a little grace and to relax expectations so that we call get through the next several weeks (or months) without a panic attack 😉
- Brain Breaks for kids – studies show that taking a 3-5 minutes brain break increases productivity for the next 45 minutes! Plus, kids need to get the wiggles out and not sit in front of a screen all day as they school at home!
- Keep encouraging kids to wash their hands to fight germs with these 40+ FREE Printable Wash Your Hands Posters
- 1 million FREE Worksheets, Games, and Activities for Prek-8th grade
- Learn about other countries in the news: Spain Coloring Pages, Italy Coloring Pages, China Coloring Pages
- 40 Virtual Fieldtrips for Families practining Social Distancing
- Should I Homeschool
- Why I LOVE Homeschooling
- How to Choose a Homeschool Curriculum
- How to Homeschool in only 15 hours a week
- Homeschool Friends
- How to Homeschool for FREE
- Why we Homeschool
- Our Homeschool Room
- Our Workboxes
- Our Curriculum Choices
- Homeschooling Forms to help you get organized