Practice compound words for kids with this pack of 2 different compound word activity ideas for kids. Your kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade students will have fun with these compound word printables. Simply print pdf file with the pack which includes compound word cards and Compound Word Worksheets.
Compound words worksheet with pictures
Work on reading and writing compound words with these compound word activities for kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. This pack includes compound word picture cards. Most people know how to introduce a child to reading with the alphabet and letter sounds. But progressing beyond basic three letter words is important. Compound words are a way to introduce longer words with just a little more difficulty. The words can be broken up into smaller words which are easier to read.
These clip cards are a great way to work on breaking up the big words into smaller words and practicing read and writing compound words.
Compound words with pictures pdf
Compound words picture cards
Start by printing the compound words cards on cardstock or laminating them. They’ll need to be sturdy to hold up the clothespins.
Each clip cards uses two clothespins so make sure to put out enough clothespins for the cards
Compound word cards
There are 4 word options on the right hans side. Two will be correct and they will be in the correct order from top down. So the words should always read correctly if you start at the top.
Simply read the words on the compound words picture cards and add a clothespin for both words.
If you do not have clothespins, you can use other manipulatives instead. You can place a gem over the correct answers. If the cards are laminated the words can be circled with a dry erase marker. Just use your imagination for options!
compound words flashcards pdf
There are multiple free compound word worksheets to use with the clip cards or on their own. There pages include compound words worksheet grade 1 and compound words worksheet grade 2 including:
- CROSSWORD compound words with pictures worksheets with pictures as clues. They just need to sound out the words and write the in one at a time.
- WORDSEARCH features 8 exercise on compound words. When a word is found, you can color the picture at the bottom.
There are two versions of recording sheets that can be used alongside the clip cards. In fact, the clip cards can be used alongside all of these printables to help with writing and spelling the words
Compound Word Activities
For more practice learning compound words for kids, try these fun compound word ideas for early learners!
- Learning Compound Words with Block – a fun compound words activities
- Compound Word Puzzles – print the free set in color or black and white (self-checking)
- Apple Compound Words for kids Worksheets
- Clip it Free Compound Word Cards
- 5 Free Compound Word Activities – including picture cards, worksheets, puzzles, and more!
- Winter Compound Word Activities – free printable set includes compound word worksheets and snowflake puzzles
- Free printable Compound Words for Kids printable readers
- 1st Grade Reading Games – Reading the Easy Way 1st Grade
- Fun, hands-on Counting Coins Games
- Over 500 pages of Kindergarten Writing Prompts Free
- Sentence Scramble Worksheets
- Princess Color by Sight Word Worksheets
- Time Puzzles make learning to use a clock FUN
- HUGE Ocean Animals for Kids Unit
- Discover 16 Countries for Kids
- Crack the Code Worksheets for practicing math while having fun
- Learn about Animal Classifications for Kids with these free printable cootie catchers
- Fun, hands-on History Lessons for kids
- Lots of 1st Grade Science Projects
- Over 1+ million pages of Free Printable Worksheets
Don’t miss all our 3rd grade worksheets and our other worksheets for kids from prek-12th grade students. We have free printable math worksheets, english worksheets, history for kids, cool science experiments, and even fun activities for kids to go with every season and holiday throughout the year!
Compound word picture cards
Before you grab your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All material provided on this blog is copyright protected.