If your little ones are starting to learn how to sound out words, grab these free beginning sounds animal clip it cards
. Great for Preschool and Kindergarten, they help kids with their fine motor skills, too!
Learning to read
starts with understanding that we have an alphabet and that it’s the sounds those letters make that turn sounds into words. One of the first skills a child needs in making this transition is to be able to hear and say the beginning sound of a word. It’s often discovering that they can do this that opens the possibility of reading and writing to young children.
Beginning Sounds Clip it Cards
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Download a copy of these beginning sounds animal clip it cards BELOW.
- Copy paper or card
- Small pegs, paperclips or small objects for marking their choice
Here’s what to do:
- Print off the clip it cards and cut to separate
- Us a laminator them if you’d like them to last longer
- Look at the pictures with your child, asking them to name the animals and maybe talk about their sizes, where they like to live, what they like to eat etc…
- Ask them to say the name of the animal out loud and concentrate on the first sound. Can they stretch it out and separate it from the rest of the word? Can they say what letter that sound belongs to?
- Ask them to say the 3 different sounds that are under the picture and decide which one matches the picture.
- Then they can clip a peg to that sound, or slip a paperclip onto it, or pop a small object on top to mark it.
Free matching animal homes clip it cards
to find the free matching cards for where these animals live.
Download FREE Beginning Sounds Clip it Cards Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.