We took a week to read through & explore the classic – Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina! We had a BLAST! So much fun stuff to do with this great book! Here is how we learned & explore through all the disciplines. I hope it helps to give you some ideas for fun, creative, educational ideas with your own little ones!
BIBLE – Read, traced & talked about what the Bible has to say about Anger & working hard.
“A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.” Proverbs 29:11
“A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest— and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.” Proverbs 6:10-11
- Balance hats on our head
- Play Monkey in the Middle
· Resources from Homeschool Creations
. Jolanthe has done it again! A wonderful, creative, variety of worksheets/activities to go alongside BFIAR. I love
her creativity in putting these together, the clip art, and the variety! And these are FREE
!! Our favorites were the prewriting pages, key words from story tracer sheets, Rhyming Match-up, Which stack of hats is the tallest – practice with a ruler, Practicing colors with Caps, Money Graphing game.
Good Reads to check out from your library or order from Amazon:
Read about monkeys – I really like this Apes & Monkeys book by Barbara Taylor. Did you know….
Apes don’t have tails, monkeys do
Monkey live in various habitats: forests, mountains, grasslands, and swamps
Chimpanzees eat termites. We made a Termite Tower from toilet paper rolls & the kids sucked up candies with straws!!
Monkeys use tools
Chips have special friends & they give hugs!
Baby organutans live with their mothers 7-9 years with no other playmates
There are over 130 different monkeys
African & Asian monkeys have hard pads on their bottoms to help them sleep sitting up
Baboons eat other monkeys, birds, and small antelope
Watched National Geographic video on Jane Goodall we checked out from the library.
Drew pictures of monkeys & their various habitats
Identified on a map where monkeys live (Africa, Asia, South America
· Roll Dice & graph money – which coin gets 10 first? by Homeschool Creations
– Both the kiddos really liked this game! We played a lot; so we practiced with money a lot!
· Ways to Make 50 cents (Practice with money – Goofy)
· Minnie lined up the monkeys smallest to largest, told me which was in the middle, practiced telling right from left, etc. We used Arranging Monkeys by Height
from 1plus1plus1equals1 (seriously check out her great resources!!)
· Minnie (3) practiced counting to 10 with Counting Monkey 1-10
from 1plus1plus1equals1 (She also has a LOT of other wonderful resources to make your own Monkey or Caps for sale lapbook!!)
· Measure which stack of hats is the tallest from Homeschool Creations
· Monkey with Velcro hats for lapbook – have kids “pay” for hats they take off
I created the Spanish vocabulary practice sheet. Feel free to use it if it works for your family! We really enjoyed the Monkeys CD. Lots of classic kids songs with great music.
I think we could have spent a couple weeks as there was so much fun stuff to do!!