Come explore the sense of touch with us as part of our 5 senses unit. We explore some great books, videos, make an edible skin, hands on project and so much more. This is a great unit for Preschool, PreK, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade kids.
More Science Units for Kids
- Animal Cells (Edible!) K-6th
- Animal Report Forms K-8th
- Crystals – How to Grow Crystals K-6th
- Hatching ButterfliesK-6th
- How to Make a Lava Lamp – K-6th
- Why do Leaves Change Colors K-6th
- Homemade Battery Experiment K-6th
- Pop Rock Science Experiment K-6th
- Simple Machines – Inclined Planes
- Solar System Worksheets
- Squishy Circuits (PreK-6th)
- Weather Unit (free printable unit) K-3rd
5 Senses Unit
Kids of all ages will have fun with this clever, hands on 5 Senses Unit.
First we learned about our sense of hearing with these books and activities:
- Cup & String Telephone – You’ve probably seen this done in old classic movies, but what you may not know is it actually works. Keep the string taut and you’ll be amazed to hear the sound waves travel across the string.
- Otoscope – Let kids get a look at the inside of a human ear using an otoscope.
- Ear Drum Activity – Kids will be amazed to see how a loud noise near the model ear will make the ear drum vibrate. (see the ear drum experiment)
- Edible Skin – layer of mini marshmallows, followed by red jello, and fruit roll-up with holes for pores with licorice hair sticking through the pores.
- Touch Bags – We put a variety of item sin brown bags for the kids to touch and try to determine what they were: pine cones, slime, feather, sugar, etc.
- I can feel by touching – The kids traced their hand and glued on items alongside the words they wrote – sensation the skin can feel: bumpy (pasta), smooth (foil), hard (bean), rough (sand paper), and soft (cotton)
More Human Body Kids Activities
- STEM Respiratory System Investigation Asthma versus Healthy from Life Over C’s
- What’s Inside Your Blood – An Edible Model from Preschool Powol Packets
- Human Body Printables for Kids from Living Life and Learning
- Telling the Time – Body Clock from Rainy Day Mum
- Human Body Games for Kidsfrom The Natural Homeschool
- 5 Senses Unit from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Hands-On Learning about Taste Budsfrom Look! We’re Learning!
- Bones from Sugar Aunts
- Human Body Math from Planet Smarty Pants
- Parts of the Eye Painting from Still Playing School