Spring is just around the corner! Finally!!!
That means we get more sunshine, trips to the park, and rainbow crafts and kids activities.
This is a really fun activity for kids from Toddler and Preschool to Kindergarten and 1st grade. Kids can practice counting to 10, from 1-70, and by 10s. Plus it makes such a pretty spring craft too!
How to Build your Rainbow Abacus
You need one of each of the following pipe cleaners in order and cut them at an angle so that the purple pipe cleaner is cut the shortest and the red pipe cleaner is not cut at all.
- lilac or dark blue
- light blue
Now put 10 coordinating color beads on each of the pipe cleaners.
Now put a blob of playdough on a surface (we used these art trays) and stick one side of the pipe cleaner in the dough in order. Now put another blob of playdough on the surface and stick the other end of the pipe cleaners in the other side.
You may need to trim additional pipe cleaners to get them to lay correctly.
Rainbow Abacus Math Activity
Younger children can just count each color to reinforce counting from 1-20.
Kindergarten and 1st grade kids can count all the way from 1-70 by ones and then count by 10s.
This is such a fun way for kids to practice counting by 10s.
HINT: With other children use this to help them conceptualize skip counting. Put 2 beads on each color. Then you can count by 2's. Next put 5 beads on each color and skip count by 5's. This is such a great visual for kids to understand skip counting!
- Painting Spring Flowers with Celery
- Ink Pad Spring Craft for Kids
- FREE! Spring Coloring Pages
- 100 Spring Crafts & Kids Activities
- Spring Bird Math Activity (Addition)
- 8 Beautiful Spring Art Projects for Kids
- Free Printable Weather Worksheets for Kids Preschool-2nd Grade
- Rainbow Patterns
- Bubble Rainbow Science & Dr. Seuss's ABC's
- How to Make and Paint a Rainbow
- How to Make a Rainbow Experiment
- Rainbow Number Bonds
- Rainbow Color Sudoku Printables for Kids
- A New Rainbow Fingerplay and Rainbow Books
- Rainbow Popsicle Stick Hundreds Chart
- Rainbow Colour Mixing Lab
- Rainbow Shapes
- Math with a Rainbow Abacus