Teach kids about Samson, a judge from Israel, with these fun Sunday School lesson ideas. Kids will remember that Samson’s hair was his source of strength with a fun playdough activity, that he knocked over the temple pillars with lego brick activities, and make a cute Samson craft too. These ideas are perfect for teaching Story of Samson for Kids from preschool, pre-k, kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and up!
Story of Samson for Kids
When you are ready to share the story of Samson for Kids you can open up your Bible to Judges 13-16. Samson was set apart from birth as a Nazarite which meant he was not allowed to cut his hair, touch anything dead, and not eat anything from the vine (wine). God gave Samson incredible strength to accomplish his task of freeing the Israelites from the Philistines. Unfortunately, Samson broke all of his Nazarite vows and ended up taking a wife from the very people he was sent to defeat – the Philistines. He tore a lion apart with his bare hands and touched a lion carcass to eat fresh honey inside. When his Philistine wife Delilah asked him what his strength was, after toying with her several times, he told her it was his hair. So Delilah helped shave off his head and the Philistines tied up and totured him. Samson finally realized the error of his ways and asked God for strength one last time. God allowed it and Samson tore down the pillars of the temple where he was chained and the temple collapsed with the Philistines inside.
We told the story with help from the kids who showed their muscles, showed us their angry faces, etc. to make it more engaging.
Samson Sunday School Lesson
We started out our Sunday School class for preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students with 4 stations to help them remember the today’s lesson:
- Ring Toss – Toss a paper plate over water bottles. Have kids say the verse before tossing the plate. We worked on James 1:19-20 “Everyone shoudl be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. Because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.”
- Samson Paper Craft & Word Search
- Build a lego temple for Samson to knock down
- Shave Samson’s hair with this playdough set.
We made a cute Samson puppet to remind us how strong Samson was with his long hair. You will need:
- brown paper bags
- yarn – the thicker the better
- scissors to cut the yarn
- markers for children to add smile, nose, and decorate the puppet’s clothes
- eye stickers
- Stapler to attach the yarn
- Brads or staples to attach the muscles
- Bicep cut-out from brown cardstock
- Avery 8160 sticker with verse or big picture idea for kids to add to the back
We played a balloon game where kids kept the balloon in the air and when it fell they told us something that made them angry. We talked about how Samson’s anger did not lead to righteousness and how we are not to sin in our anger.
We also blew up a balloon filled with confetti, adding a puff at a time to show how when we get angry eventually we will blow up and it will all come out. When we are bumped we can see what is really inside of us.
Samson for Kids
In addition to our regular worship songs, we watched/sang this fun Samson video with a cute song that reviews the lesson.
Learn the Books of the Bible
Here are several fun activities we’ve used to help the kids learn the books of the Bible. They are well suited to most kids in elementary school. You may also like or Books of the Bible Snack or the Books of the Bible bulletin board.
- Books of the Bible bookmark
- Pool Noodle Books of the Bible Games for Kids
- 66 Books of the Bible Game for Kids
- Cup Books of the Bile Games
- Leaves Books of the Bible Games
- Learning the books of the bible with Lego
- Discs Books of the Bible Games
- Army of Spoons Books of the Bible Games
- Free Bible Bookcase Printable
Bible Printables for Kids
- Free printable books of the bible bookmarks templates
- Printable Bible Verses (verse cards for kids and families)
- Free Printable Sermon Notes for Kids (works with any sermon)
- Creation BINGO Printable Game
- Lampstand Zechariah the Prophet Craft
- Printable Jelly Bean Gospel for Kids
- Lesson from Nahum
- Prophet Ezekiel Craft
- Daniel and the Lions Den Craft
- Shadrach meshach and abednego craft
- Nehemiah Inspects the Wall Pipe Cleaner Glasses Craft
- Old Testament good and bad kings of the bible
- Joseph Coat of Many Color Craft
- Moses and the Red Sea Craft
- Jesus Ascension Craft
- Four Friends Bible Story
- See all our many Free Sunday School Lessons