CVC words are commonly the first words young children learn to read for themselves! These CVC Words Beginning Sounds Clip Cards self-checking beginning sound clip cards give them practice with 36 CVC words. This makes them very useful to Kindergarteners and Pre-K kids.
CVC Words Activity
What words are included?
- pot, cot, hot
- rat, cat, bat
- bed, fed, wed
- pin, tin, win
- sun, bun, fun
- ham, ram, jam
- ten, pen, hen
- big, dig, pig
- mop, pop, hop
- rub, cub, tub
- sad, mad, pad
- fit, hit, sit
Download the cards below. Print off the color or black and white pages onto card and cut along the dotted lines. Fold on the gray lines to create 2-sided cards. Glue the backs together or laminate. Grab some pegs so they’re ready to use!
Beginning Sounds Activities
- Children look at the main picture and the two letters underneath.
- Say those sounds (for eg ‘ad’) and then say it again, adding the sound in the first square to the beginning. What is that word? Does it match the picture?
- Try putting the next two letters in front. What words do they make?
- Clip a peg to the letter that makes the word match the picture.
- Turn the card over to self-check the answer and to check if you read the other words correctly, too!
Beginning Sounds Printable
- NO PREP Beginning Sounds Worksheets
- Alphabet Letter and Beginning Sounds Matching Game
- Beginning Sounds Sensory Game
- Phonics Hot Chocolate with Marshmallow Activity
- Beginning Sounds Coloring Pages
- Grinch PHonics Puzzles
- Alphabet Printable Hats
Download CVC Words Beginning Sounds Clip Cards
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.