CVC words are commonly the first words young children learn to read for themselves! These CVC Words Beginning Sounds Clip Cards self-checking beginning sound clip cards give them practice with 36 CVC words. This makes them very useful to Kindergarteners and Pre-K kids.
CVC Words Beginning Sounds Clip Cards
What words are included?
- pot, cot, hot
- rat, cat, bat
- bed, fed, wed
- pin, tin, win
- sun, bun, fun
- ham, ram, jam
- ten, pen, hen
- big, dig, pig
- mop, pop, hop
- rub, cub, tub
- sad, mad, pad
- fit, hit, sit
How to Prepare
Download the cards below. Print off the color or black and white pages onto card and cut along the dotted lines. Fold on the gray lines to create 2-sided cards. Glue the backs together or laminate. Grab some pegs so they’re ready to use!
Using these beginning sound clip cards
- Children look at the main picture and the two letters underneath.
- Say those sounds (for eg ‘ad’) and then say it again, adding the sound in the first square to the beginning. What is that word? Does it match the picture?
- Try putting the next two letters in front. What words do they make?
- Clip a peg to the letter that makes the word match the picture.
- Turn the card over to self-check the answer and to check if you read the other words correctly, too!
Want more free beginning sounds activities?
- Beginning sounds stamping activity
- Beginning sounds transportation clip cards
- Beginning sounds picture sort
- Alphabet punch cards with beginning sounds
- Animal beginning sounds clip cards
- Beginning sounds and alphabet match game
Download CVC Words Beginning Sounds Clip Cards
Before you download your free pack you agree to the following:
- This set is for personal and classroom use only.
- This printable set may not be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other website or electronic retrieval system.
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from
- All downloadable material provided on this blog is copyright protected.