If you are teaching a Sunday school lessons on the four friends who helped their friend see Jesus so he could be healed from Matthew 9:1-8 here are some great games, activities, and crafts to go along with with bible story.
Four Friends Bible Story
Our church teaches through the Bible in a 4 year cycle with kids. This year is year 3 and we’ve gotten to talk about the life and ministry of Jesus!
Here is the lesson we taught the kids on one of Jesus miracles – the healing of the man who couldn’t walk and whose friends brought him to the feet of Jesus by lowering him through the roof of the building where Jesus was speaking.
This is a great story about Jesus, miracles, and good friends.
Sunday School Lesson – Matthew 9:1-8
Start out with two different activities kids could do as they came in to help prepare them for our lesson on the Four Friends that Helped.
Then, we made a large house using masking tape on the floor. We used this for the games and as an illustration during the Bible story as all 60 of our 1st grade kids had to sit in the house.
Note: At the beginning of the lesson we removed the pointed roof when we explained roofs at this time did not come to a point.
Back to the game….
The kids made a line along the outside of the house and then took turns with one kid laying on the mat (we only allowed kids with pants or shorts on underneath to lay down) while 4 friends scooted the person around the house carefully on a beach air mattress.
The kids thought this was lots of fun!
We emphasized it was about getting their friend to Jesus safely and not about the speed in which they did it.
The other activity the kids could do was to go in the house where they stood on a chair and dropped a bean bag. They were trying to get it in the bulls eye (the feet of Jesus) (we made with masking tape and a red circle of construction paper)
Jesus Miracles Crafts
This is a simple, fun to make craft to go along with the lesson.
Using the free mat template below, kids colored in the mat and hole punched the four corners. The kids then attached yarn so they could lower the friend down to see Jesus (we just crossed the two sections at the top, but any way works).
We made the friend out of 2 pipe cleaners like this:
- Holding the first pipe cleaner in the middle make a circle (head) then twist together several times and separate pieces to make arms.
- Fold your 2nd pipe cleaner in half and insert it into the bottom of the head. Twist about 10 times to make the body and then separate to make 2 legs.
More Sunday School Lessons for Kids
- Nahum Prophet to Nineveh Craft (K-3rd)
- Prophet Ezekiel Pinwheel Craft (K-3rd)
- Zerubbabel Leads the Israelites Home Pennant
- Zechariah Lampstand Craft
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt (Luke 2)
- Jesus in the Temple as a Boy
- 12 Disciples
- Jesus Rejected in Nazareth: Wordless Book Cross Craft
- Jesus is Greater than John: Jesus Sandals Craft
Download 4 Friends Helped Craft
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (to share, please share a link to this page for others to download their own copy. Thanks!)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!