Did you know there are lots of free things to do at Disney World. Whether you have some extra days built in or your flight leaves latter, there are at least 20 FREE things to do at Disney World without going in the parks.
Disney World Planning Tips
- Top 5 Disney World Character Dining
- The BEST age to take kids to Disney World
- 20 Tips & Tricks for Families at Disney World
- The BEST time of Year to got to Disney World
- 10 Ways to Beat the Heat at Disney World
- Everything you Need to Know about Disney Magic Bands
- Best Rides to Pick for Disney Fastpass+
- 15 Ways to RUIN a trip to Disney World
- 7 BEST Shows at Disney World
FREE things to do at Disney World without going in the parks
Who said nothing in life is free? At Disney World you can enjoy at least 20 fun, memorable and unique experiences without even entering one of the four parks! These things to do at Disney World without going in the parks are great for non-park days or days when you fly in or are flying out and don’t want to “waste” one of your park days for a partial day! Don’t miss our other tips and tricks as you are Disney World Planning
Free Activities at your Disney World Resort
- Visit the different resorts, walk around & take in the details and atmosphere; try the different foods served at each resort or hang out in a hammock (this is especially fun in Nov/Dec when the resorts all have different Christmas decorations up)
- Ride the monorail – ask to ride up front in the driver’s cab, & don’t forget to ask for your free co-pilot license.
- If you book a package you will get a voucher for free tokens to play in the arcade.
Go to the Fort Wilderness campfire with Chip & Dale. Take your own marshmallows to roast over the fire, & a blanket to sit on while you watch the film.
Free Things to Do Around Disney Properties
- Go to Downtown Disney, you don’t have to go in any of the shops, just sit back & take in the atmosphere, look at the Lego sculptures (and build your own), people watch, let the kids play in the fountains.
- Go to one of the Magic Kingdom resorts & watch the electric water pageant from the beach.
- Watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach of the Grand Floridian or Polynesian, the California Grill at the Contemporary, or the bus depot
Did you know you can visit any Disney World Resort!
- Visit different themed playgrounds at the different resorts. We highly recommend Coronado Springs and Art of Animation.
- Spend time on the beach at one of the MK resorts strolling around the beautiful grounds or relaxing in a hammock.
- Take the free tour at the Wilderness Lodge, or ask for the list of hidden Mickeys, & go on a hidden Mickey hunt.
- Visit the petting farm at Fort Wilderness.
You just might beg to fly in a day early!
- Meet Characters (at different times of the year characters make appearances at resorts – especially for holidays, during repairs, or if a hurricane appears to be approaching)
- Take a boat ride from one of the resorts – Wilderness Lodge to MK; Boardwalk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios; Dixie Landings to Downtown Disney, etc.
- Take the free garden tour at the Yacht & Beach Club Resort, or the free tour of the Grand Floridian.
- Visit the 1930s inspired BoardWalk in the evening to watch street performers such as jugglers, comedians, fire-eaters and jazz ensembles.
These are some of our favorite free things to do at Disney World
- Walk along by the Sassagoula River from Port Orleans Riverside to French Quarter and see the free concert in the Riverside and French Quarter lounge Friday and Saturday night 8:30-midnight
- Listen to live piano music in the Grand Floridian
- Trade pins (resorts have huge pin boards they bring out during the day or evening!)
- Go on the nature walk at Fort Wilderness.
- Visit the Animal Kingdom Lodge and watch the animals roam freely outside (giraffes, zebras, and more); there is a cast member available to answer questions about the animals too
Watching a movie on the lawn is one of my kids FAVORITE activities
- Watch a movie – all Disney resorts have free showings of Disney movies. The movies vary by resort and can be at the pool, on the beach, and various other locations – ask for location & movie showings (hint: watch a movie on the Polynesian beach and enjoy a campfire & fireworks too!)
- Learn to Draw at free drawing classes offered at the Art of Animation resort.
- If you have the free dinning plan (usually offered in the fall) you can enjoy a character meal at Chef Mickey’s (Contemporary), 1900 Park Fare (Grand Floridian), or Beach Club Resort, and others
- Poolside games & trivia are offered throughout the day at the “main pool” of each resort. This is fun for the whole family with prizes and everything!
- If you book a package you’ll get a coupon book with a free round of mini golf! Or, depending on current tickets, some include one extra activity per day!