This week in our Sunday School Lessons we talked about the calling of the 12 disciples. Here is a fun bible craft, kids activities, and other ideas for teaching this Bible story to Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade kids.
This lesson was to go along with our Sunday School lesson from Matthew 4:18-22 and Matthew 9:9-13 where we talked about the 12 Disciples.
12 Disciples Activities
For the first 20 minutes of class we have several stations with activities to reinforce the lesson / point of today’s Sunday School Lessons. We wanted the kids to not only remember the names of the 12 disciples, but that Jesus called them to become fishers of men.
The kids played this free printable 12 Disciples Memory Game to learn who the 12 Disciples were.
We also had a game where the kids tried to put a ping pong ball with each of the 12 disciples names in the egg carton. There are lots of adaptations to this simple, but effective activity
- put magnetic stickers on ping pong balls and use a magnetic fishing pole to fish for the names
- make it a relay where kids run from one end to the other to get a new name to bring back to the cartoon
- one person activity where you sort through all the names to find the correct ones to fill you cartoon
- when you find a name you need from the blue bowl you need to throw the ball to get it to land in the cartoon.
We spread out a blue blanket as the water. In the middle we put a fishing net we happened to have and then put cut out paper fish all throughout the water.
Kid will use a straw to suck up the fish and move them to the net.
HINT: Make sure the fish are no longer than 4-5” of they get too difficult to move with suction power.
This was the kids favorite activity today! We slit a pool noodle down one side and used it to cover a hula-hoop. We then used masking or duct tape to attach the ends. This made our fishing net soft enough to toss at kids!
Kids lined up behind a line we made on the floor using masking tape. More children (or leaders) stood on X’s that were about 5 feet away. The child in the front of the line tried to toss the net to catch another child becoming a “fisher of men”
Fishing for Men Bible Craft
Our craft today reminds us that Jesus called the 12 apostles and told them they would become fishers of men.
You will need the following per person:
- dowel rod
- paper clip
- 12-15+ piece of yarn or string
- 3 fish (see download below)
This is such a cute, simple craft for a 12 Disciples or Fishers of Men Sunday School Lessons. This craft for kids in Preschool, Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade.
HINT: If you are doing this with kids under 2nd grade, I highly recommend cutting out the fish ahead of time.
Simple tie the yarn to the pole and to the paper clip. Now use a hole punch through all 3 fish and put on the paper clip hook.
I highly suggest singing a version of the 12 Disciples Song to learn and review their names!
Other Ideas for 12 Disciples Lesson
- Egg Cartoon 12 Disciplines Song (free printable)
- Jesus Calls Apostles for Preschool (snack, fishing activity, and egg cartoon craft)
- Mesh Fisher Men Craft (great for families)
- Fish Sewing – Sew two paper fish together through hole punches with yarn
- Musical Fish – Pass a cut out fish around the circle. When the music stops the one holding the fish is caught and should go in the “net”. Continue until there is only one fish left.
Download Fishing for Men Craft
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal or personal classroom use only (to share, please direct others to this page to download their own copy)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics purchased and used with permission from Bellflower Blue Studios
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!