We all know it is important for kids to write well.
How well they write will directly impact their future job, income potential, and even how well they can express themselves in general.
Help kids learn, practice, and improve their writing with these 5 simple and effective tools:
Step 1 - Practice Makes Perfect
Regular writing will give kids the chance to sound out words, begin forming sentences, and to write based on a thought or topic.
Their writing doesn’t all need to be corrected, and actually it shouldn’t all be corrected. You want kids to try and enjoy writing. Making mistakes is part of learning. Kids will hopefully being to feel more comfortable and enjoy writing.
Ideas for helping kids practice writing:
- Writing Prompts (themed & monthly)
- In Depth Book Report & Simple Book Report
- Practice building good sentences
- Letters to Grandma & Grandpa
- Help you write the grocery list
- Write each other notes on post it notes and leave them around the house
Step 2 - Improve Writing
- Dinosaur Bones Punctuation Game
- Marshmallow Incident’s Noun – Verb Sort
- My Spelling Dictionary
- Noun / Verb Food Sort
- S’more Sentence Game
- Dictionary Detectives
- Minion Contractions
- Parts of Speech BINGO
- Solve it! Parts of Speech Game
- 1st Grade Spelling Words – WORD SEARCHES
- 2nd Grade Spelling Word Crossword Puzzles
When they have the basics, help them form good paragraphs with topic sentences, 3-4 supporting sentences, and using a thesaurus to use “better” words.
Make sure that at least once a week you help go over something they wrote to help them find spelling errors, missing punctuation, capitalization errors, etc. They do need to learn to correct their work, just not everything they write.
Step 3 - Celebrate their Writing
It “the old days” kids would just write several sheets, add a picture to a make a front cover and staple it together. Well, it’s not the olden days anymore!
Kids can now publish their very own book that is not only fun to make, but a great tool to improve writing, and a precious keepsake.
- Up to 28 pages
- Printed with child’s handwriting or typed
- Use markers provided to make vivid illustrations
- Professional bound
- Hard cover
- Title page
- Dedication Page
- About the Author
- (We used the IlluStory kit)
Super cool, right? Plus it’s affordable and you can easily order additional copies which make fantastic Christmas presents for Grandparents!
My son is so proud of his book. And we are amazed with how much he has accomplished. What a treasured keepsake!
Lulu Jr. Special Offer
Order a Lulu Jr. book kit before June 20, 2015 and use promo code 30LULUJR to save 30%!
These are great keepsake for families, summer learning fun, homeschoolers, or even bulk orders for schools!