Kids will have fun practicing counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, and more with these fun, easy-to-make Skip Counting Lacing Plates. This skip counting activity is a fun math games for kids from kindergarten, first grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th grade students. Use this skip counting games to practice counting in 2s, counting in 3s, counting in 4s, counting in 5s, counting in 6s, counting in 7s, counting in 8s, counting in 9s, counting in 10s, counting in 11s, counting in 12s, and more!
Skip Counting Lacing Plates
Skip counting or counting in multiples is a skill children need to learn early on. Combine it with lacing plates, and you have a fine motor skills activity to boot! This is a SELF CHECKING Skip Counting Lacing Plates! This skill sets the foundation for multiplication and quicker counting for elementary age kids. This skip counting activity is great for working on skip counting by 2, skip counting by 3, skip counting by 4, skip counting by 5, skip counting by 6, skip counting by 7, skip counting by 8, skip counting by 9, skip counting by 10, skip counting by 11, skip counting by 12, and more! This skip counting game is perfect for hands-on practice with kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4 students.
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this skip counting practice. Use it at home as extra practice or summer learning, math center in your classroom, or supplement to your homeschool math curriculum.
Skip counting activity
Make your own math lacing plates frugally with just a few simple materials you probably already have on hand:
- paper plates (I used small, green ones)
- a paper punch
- sharpie marker (to write the numbers on the front and make it self correcting on the back
- laces( I used the plastic kind, but one can use any, even yarn)
Skip counting games
The number of holes will depend on where you want your child to stop counting. I punched with 10 holes here:
Skip Counting Practice
Simply write the numbers randomly next to the holes:
Ideas for teaching skip counting
Lace the plate correctly and then turn the plate around to mark off the lines. (Note that you will have to show the child the correct way of lacing: in-out-in-out…This could be a bit tricky for him/her at first)
This will serve as a self correcting tool!
First grade math activity
I secured the end of the lace with tape as an indicator as to where to start. The last hole were marked with a circle:
That is it! Easy to make, and it could be adapted for younger children too. If your child cannot skip count yet, one could use this idea for counting in 1’s, or to match numbers and dots:
A fun, frugal learning idea! I use these with my remedial therapy sessions with grade two’s:
This makes a good busy bag activity too, perfect to use while traveling.
FREE Skip Counting Printables
Looking for more fun skip counting activities to make learning to skip count fun? Check out these fun and FREE resources!
- Printable Skip Counting Paths
- Free Skip Counting Worksheets – follow the path
- Polar Animals Skip Counting Worksheets
- Fun Skip Counting Mazes
- Craft Stick Skip Counting Activity
- Hands-on Skip Counting Puzzles
- Reusable Skip Counting Write & Wipe
- Under the Sea Skip Counting Dot to Dot
- Free Skip Counting Visuals
- Christmas Skip Counting Printable
- Cute Skip Counting Activity – Lacing Plates
- Free Printable Skip Counting Posters – fantastic visual for elementary age students
- Printable Kite Skip Counting Craft
- Free Printable Skip Counting Puzzles 2s-10s
- Cute Christmas Skip Counting
- Christmas Skip Counting Puzzles
- Skip Counting Chart Worksheets 1s-15s
- Famous Landmarks Around the World Skip Counting Puzzles
- Cute Summer Skip Counting Puzzles
- Fun Winter Skip Counting Puzzles
- Counting by 2s and counting by 3s clip cards
- Skip Counting Activity Counting by Lacing Plates (self-checking activity)
- Oregon Trail Themed Skip Counting Game
- Smores Skip Counting Printable
- Constellations Skip Counting Worksheets – dot to dot activity
- Yummy Sundae Skip Counting Ativities for Kindergartners
- Fall Skip Counting Worksheets
- Hands-on skip counting activity with craft sticks – great visual!