Spring is the perfect time to dig into a plants for kindergarten lesson. Children will learn all about seeds and plants using hands-on plant activities for kindergarten, preschool, and pre-k kids. We have fun seed crafts for kids, parts of a plant projects, seed germination for kids, a cute plants craft so kids can see their roots, learning how plants drink, plus lots of plant printables too.
Plants for Kindergarten
We spent a week exploring seeds & plants for kindergarten. This is a fun topic for my kids because they are always anxious to plant our garden & starting picking produce! By the time we finished this lesson we were about ready to pick our first radish and kids had a better understanding about how plants grow, plant anatomy, and a better appreciation of many different flower and vegetable plants are out there! Use these plant activities of kindergarten with preschoolers and kindergartners as a weekly theme or supplement to your spring theme. You will love the construction paper flowers and coloring carnations with science!
Plant activities for kindergarten
Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love these clever seed activities for kindergarten to learn about how plants grow and so much more. Use this at home, in the classroom, or as a supplement to your homeschool curriculum.
Construction paper flowers
We made our own construction paper flowers easy to decorate the inside of our house. I thought this was so much fun, simple to make, and came out super cute! My kids LOVE the construction paper flower craft they crated! You may also like these flower crafts for kids:
I explained how plants “drink” water like we do from a straw. The stem is their straw from which they get all their water. We did the classic experiment of placing white carnations in colored water. I asked the kids to make a hypothesis of what would happen. After about 2 hours there was a hint of some green & blue on the carnations. 2 days later the blue & green carnations were fairly well colored. The orange watered carnation had traces of orange around the edge of the petals. The yellow and the pink watered carnations had not changed at all. The black carnation turned it green.
Since this attempt, we’ve perfected dying flowers and can now make one flower have more than one color! You’ve got to see it!
Seed Germination for Kids
We also germinated our own seed. This was a great way to observe what happens under the soil when we plant a seed. We moistened a paper towel and rung it out slightly. We placed the wet paper towel and 3 pea seeds inside a small Ziploc bag. The kids taped them to a sunny window and we waited & observed.
We acted out dormant seeds in sleeping bag popping out. Sorry, I couldn’t see to get a picture that capture it well.
Seed Mosaic Craft
We made Seed Mosaics. My kids were surprised to learn that dried beans (like we use for soup) are actually seeds
We learned what the different parts of a plant are by making this plant & labeling it. My son also enjoyed doing this Lift-the-Flap Flower Life Cycle or Parts of a Flower Flip Book
We practice alphabet, math, and literacy skills with this fun Garden Printable Pack! Here are some other free worksheets for kids for some all-around-learning with a spring / flower theme:
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Practice making shapes with these flower playdough mats
- Spring Flower Counting Games for Preschoolers
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
- Spring Jelly Bean Egg One to One Correspondence Activities
- Super cute Carrot Shape Playdough Mats for Spring
- Count the Bunny Number Flashcards
- Rainbow Color Matching Game
- Practice adding numbers with this free printable Spring Addition Matching Game
- Planting Carrots CVC Words Activity
- Fruit Loop Rainbow Printables Ten Frame Math Activity
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Grab these cute Spring Printables Sudoku Puzzles for kids
- Seed Find the Letter Worksheets
- Frog Alphabet Game Matching Printable
- Kite Beginning Sound Activities printable craft for spring
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Print and GO Spring Scavenger Hunt
- Spring Step by Step Drawings
- Practice reading with this Spring sight word cut and paste reader
- Worm Worksheets Pack
- Spring Telling Time Worksheets
- Digraphy Activity to improve reading and spelling skills with these spring puzzles
- Cute Blubird Soring Blends Activity for first and second graders.
- LOTS of fun PLANTS arts and crafts for preschool and kindergartners