Your kids are going to love learning about word families with this funWord Family Hershey Kiss Sorting Activity. Practicing word families helps Preschooler, Kindergarten, and 1st graders identify word patterns, start sounding words out, and recognize spelling patterns too!
Word families are groups of words that have a common pattern or combination of the same letters in them. For example, bed, fed, wed, and led are a family of words with the “ed” sound and letter combination in common.
There are 37 most common word families. In this free printable Hershey Kiss Word Families we will explore the ones that make up the most simple words: ad, ail, ake, all, ap, at, ay, est, ice, ill, ing, ish, oon, out, un, and ump.
This activity is a great introduction or continued practice mastering word families for Preschool, Kindergarten, and 1st grade.
Word Family Hershey Kiss Sorting Activity
For this activity you are going to print and laminate (for durability) both the jars and Hershey kisses. There are three levels to this activity:
Level 1 – Visual Discrimination
Sort one or two word families at a time. This will help kids see the patterns very clearly. As kids sort words by patterns help them sound them out. Did they notice the words rhyme?
Note: There are two jars per page and Hershey Kiss words are also sorted with two word families per page to make introducing word families gradually simple.
Level 2 – Visual Discrimination
Have children sort all 16 word families included in this activity at once. There will be 16 jars and a big pile of Hershey kiss words for kids to sort. Again, make sure to help kids sound out words to maximize the educational value of the activity.
Level 3 – Oral Discrimination
At this level children will no longer have the visual clues as to what word family each kiss belongs to. They will need to say the word aloud and listen for the correct pattern. If your student can write, have them write down on printable handwriting paper how they feel the word is written.
Word Family Activities
Looking for more fun, free printable word family printables to make learning fun for preschoolers, prek, kindergartners, and first graders? You will love these clever ideas and resources:
- Snowman Word Family Printable Spinners
- Christmas Tree Word Family Game
- Pumpkin Pie Word Family Game
- Turkey Word Family Activity
- Kindergarten Word Family Sliders
- CVC Words Booklents – short “a”
- Pumpkin Word Family Printables
- Easter Word Family Activity
- Flower Word Family worksheets Cut & Paste
- Transportation Word Family Printable Sliders (Blends)
- Hershey Kiss Word Family Activity
- Rhyming Word Family Printable Strips
- Lion Rhyming Words Activity
- Planting Carrot CVC Words Activity
- Carrot Word Family Worksheets
- Blowing Bubbles Word Family Activity
Download Word Family Hershey Kiss Sorting Activity
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- Graphics Purchased and used with permission from Scrappin Doodles License #94836
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!