Kids will love this fun suncatcher craft that is super easy to make for kids of all ages! All you need to make this pretty flower suncatcher craft are some flowers, paper plates, and contact paper. This flower suncatcher is fun for kids of all ages from toddler, preschool, pre-k, and kindergarten to elementary age kids in first grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd graders too. This sun catchers craft is a must try summer craft ideas, spring craft for kids, or flower crafts for preschoolers!
One of my favorite things about spring and summer is all the natural beauty! I love the abundance of beautiful flowers in various shapes, sizes, and all the COLORS of the rainbow – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white, and every shade in between! Their are so many different varieties and they each bloom for such a small time before they make way for the next flower to be center stage. Besides enjoying these flower outside my window in hanging basket or at the local park, I wanted to capture and keep the beauty for the entire summer and beyond! Sadly, some flowers bloom for only a matter of weeks before they are done for the year.
This beautiful flower craft for kids allows you to preserve your the beauty just before they start fading… so you can enjoy them the rest of the summer! Make this suncatcher craft with toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, grade 1, grade 2, and grade 3 students. This preschool flower crafts makes fun summer craft ideas or spring craft ideas too!
Flower suncatcher craft
You need access to flowers. You can pick ones in your backyard, in the grocery store, wild flower on a natuer walk, or however else you like to get them. We like to pick flowers that are just about to go bast their prime so we can enjoy them fresh as long as possible. You want the flowers to be dry – so pick them after the morning sun has dried them out from any morning dew.
- paper paltes – we used green plates but you can use any color, size, or variety you have on hand
- self-seal laminating sheets – DON’t try to put fresh flowers through your laminator! The self seal laminating pouches are the quick and easy way to go on this project. Your laminator will thank you!
Start the craft for kids by cutting out the center of the small green plate, leaving the circle frame intact. We did this by carefully poking a hole in the middle of the plate and sliding our scissors in through the hole and cutting the radius of the cricle towars the edge. Then we switched directions and cut around the circumerence of the circle.
Sun catchers craft
Fold a self-seal laminating sheet in half then cut the sheet to just 1-2″ bigger than the size of the green plate frame.
Open up half of the laminating sheet (unto the fold) and have your child place flower, pedals, or leaves on the sheet in the pattern they like.
This is a great time for kids to pick colors they like, pick patterns. Build vocabulary by having children tell you wahat color or shape they picked. Ask them why they like that color. Encourage kids to make a pattern with some white space to draw your eye to the preserved flowers.
Flower crafts for preschoolers
Now pull back the paper from the other half of the laminating sheet and carefully press it on top of the flowers. Make sure you use your finger to get all parts touching by going on top of the flowers, between the flowers, create a lot of pressure and get right up close to the petals. Air bubbles not only don’t look very pretty, but they allow any leftover moisture from the flowers stay there and the air can age the flowers.
Make a variety of different pouches with different colors and designs.
Summer Craft Ideas
Now one-by-one, tape the self-sealing-laminating sheet to the back (white side) of the paper plate. We like to use tape because it is less messy than glue and it allows us to finish the project quicker, but you could also use drick or liquid glue as well as a glue gun if you prefer. Make sure you affix all sides of the pouch to the back of the paper plate frame.
Repeat with all other pouches so that each one has a pretty frame.
Spring Craft Ideas
There you have it – a simple to make, pretty summer craft with flowers that kids of all ages will enjoy making. Ish’t that so pretty!
Flower Craft Ideas
I love the way the air pockets and creases in the self-sealing laminating pages look. They give it such a pretty antiqued look. Pretty, right? Just make sure you get as close to the flowers as possible.
These are beautiful to hang on windows, sliding glass doors, and anywhere else that you get light through them to really point out the beauty of these DIY suncatchers.
These beautiful flower suncatchers will brighten up any window. Each one is different and fun to make. Plus these suncatchers make a great gift for Mothers Day, Fathers Day, or Grandparents Day.
Spring Crafts for Kids
- Super cute Printable Name Flower Craft
- Simple Windsock Craft for kids
- Pretty Cherry Blossom Craft for Spring
- Bleeding Tissue Paper Rainy Day Crafts for Kids
- EASY ink pad spring crafts for toddlers
- EDIBLE, Peeps Playdough Recipe
- Fun-to-Make and lovely painted flower craft preschool
- Make your own yummy milk Rainbow Toast
- This spin art Flower Craft for kids is almost as beautiful as they are fun to make
- Simple Sunflower Crafts that are bright, cheery, and simple to make
- This flower activity for preschoolers changes things up to use flowers to create art
- Plant a Number Line to 10 Math activity for pre-k and kindergarten
- Show off these pretty flower suncatcher craft
- 100 Flower Crafts from A to Z
- Silly Grass Head Craft
- Handprint Spring flower art projects
- Rainbow Hand Art Projects for St Patricks Day
- Looking for more fun color activities for kids don’t miss these 37 Colorful Activities for Kids
- Super clever, bubble wrap rain craft
- Wow! Over 100 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Dandelion flower craft project
- Stunning, Easy Stained Glass Art for Kids
- Kids will go nuts over this painting with cars rainbow project
- Amazing Bubble Painting process art project for kids
Check out these outrageously FUN spring science experiments for kids:
- Beautiful Chromatography Flowers made with science!
- Amazing Food Coloring Flower Experiment Worksheet where you can turn a flower into two seperate colors!
- Have you tried making butter experiment
- Colorful Jelly Bean Experiment exploring difusion and color matching with a simple activity for kids
- You’ve got to try this simple Color Changing Slime
- Simply Rainbow Density Experiment for springtime
- How Big is a Raindrop – try this raindrop experiment to find out!
- Egg Drop Challenge with marshmallows!
- You’ve got to try this Lego Balloon Car
- Make a popsicle stick catapult
- Colorful Polymer Chemistry Experiment
- MUST try capillary action experiment
- Lego DIY Zipline for your backyard
- How to Make a Weather Vane the EASY way
- Pop Rocks Experiment kids will LOVE!
- How to Grow Rainbow Crystals EASILY at Home – Spring Science Activity
- Beautiful Rainbow Slime Activity for Kids
Looking for some fun, educational spring theme ideas to make learning fun this April and May? Check out these fun resources:
- Cute, free printable Flower Shape Craft for kids
- Flower Rhyming Words Worksheet
- Sunflower Alphabet Matching
- Flower Mazes – Free Printable Sight Word Worksheets
- Pretty Flower Name of Number Puzzles
- F is for Flower Handprint Craft
- Count to 20 Spring Playdough Mats
- Rainbow Shape Playdough Mats
- Spring Do a Dot Printables
- Flower Letter Matching Printable
- Grow a Plant Sequencing Worksheets
- Fun Spring Flower SIght Word Game
Fun Summer Activities
Looking for more summer ideas for kids? You will love these fun, clever resources for kids of all ages to keep you busy all May, June, July, and August.
- Watermelon Explosion is not only ridiculously fun, but will teach kids about potential and kinetic energy too!
- Amazing Bubble Artwork Project is as fun to make as it is beautiful!
- Slime is always a fun kids activity and our 2 ingredient WOW Slime is the best slime recipe you will ever try!
- Silly Grass Craft for Kids
- 30 Pool Noodle Activities for Kids
- Giant Bubble Solution
- Edible Ice Cream Playdough Recipe
- Easy Ice Cream in a Bag
- FREE Printable Summer Activity Calendars
- How to Make a Lava Lamp
- Handprint Strawberry Craft
- Color by Number Summer
- Squirt Gun Painting
- Mason Jar Flower Craft for Kids
- Walking Water Science Project