Make practicing sights words FUN with this cute Bug Sight Words Game for preschool, pre k, kindergarten, 1st grade, and 2nd grade students to practice common dolche words.
Kids are naturally curious and fascinated by creepy, crawly bugs! They are so tiny, but usually come in a long line, have so many legs, can fly, and some even sting. Bugs are a fun spring, summer, or fall theme for young learners. We used this activity as as supplement to our I is for Insect week . Bugs make such a fun weekly theme or center in your classroom.
To expand on this natural interest, I made a fun, free printable bug sight words game to help preschool, pre k, kindergarten, and first grade students practice sight words. It is low prep and easy to play. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or homeschooler – you will love this sight word game that allows young learners to improve fluency reading these key dolch sight words!
Don’t miss all our many other 1st Grade Worksheets!
Bug Sight Words Game
I highly suggest printing the printable on cardstock to make the activity durable. Now, carefully using scissors cut along the solid lines to cute each cute little insect into a separate rectangular piece. We have ladybugs, inchworms, ants, flies, bees, and more!
Now put your sight word bugs in a bag, hat, or to be extra cute – a bug catcher! This will really get children excited about playing the free sight word game. I got our bug hotel at the Target dollar section!!
Free Sight Word Games
The sight word game is really simple to play. You can play this easy sight word game with just mom, with siblings, by yourself, or with a group of other friends / students.
- On your turn you draw a bug. If you read the word correctly you get to keep it, if not you put it back.
- If you draw a bee on your turn, you get stung & you ‘drop’ all your other bugs. You now have 0.
- The object is to have the most bugs at the end of the game.
HINT: If you have kids in multiple ages try printing the bug cards on different color cardstock so children will pick the correct color (difficulty) words.
Learning Sight Words Games
we’ve included cards to play this game with children of various grade levels:
- Pre K Sight Words included in the preschool sight word games to learn to read are: a, and, away, big, blue, can, come, down, find, for, funny, go, help, here, I, in, is, it, jump, little, look, make, me, my, not, one, play, red, run, said, see, the, three, to, two, up, we, where, yellow, you
- Kindergarten sight words games will help kids practice the following age appropriate words: all, am, are, at, ate, be, black, brown, but, came, did, do, eat, four, get, good, have, he, into, like, must, new, no, now, on, our, out, please, pretty, ran, ride, saw, say, she, so, soon, that, there, they, this, too, under, want, was, well, went, what, white, who, will, with, yes
- First grade sight words that your student will work on developing fluency reading are: after, again, an, any, as, ask, by, could, every, fly, from, give, going, had, has, her, him, his, how, just, know, let, live, may, of, old, once, open, over, put, round, some, stop, take, thank, them, then, think, walk, were, when
- 2nd grade sight words your grade 2 student will practice are: always, around, because, been, before, best, both, buy, call, cold, does, don’t, fast, first, five, found, gave, goes, green, its, made, many, off, or, pull, read, right, sing, sit, sleep, tell, their, these, those, upon, us, use, very, wash, which, why, wish, work, would, write, your
Looking for more fun, free bug printables to add to your bug theme? You will love these fun educational activities:
- Bug Themed Alphabet Letter Find
- Count to 10 Spider Playdough Mats
- I Spy Bugs
- Ladybug Alphabet Matching
- Count to 30 Bug Activity
- Bug Coloring Book – Count to 10
- Catch 20 Bugs Counting Game
- Frog Second Grade Sight Words Game
- Little Mermaid Color by Sight Words
- Sight Word Garden
- Springtime Sight word Reader
- Spring Flower First Grade Sight Words Game
- Candyland Sight Words Game
- Arctic Animals 1st Grade Sight Words Game
- Crazy Roads Sight Words Game
- Summer Sight Word Worksheet Mazes
- Sight Word Tracing Strips
- Construction Sight Words Game
Download FREE Bug Sight Word Game
By downloading from my site you agree to the following:
- This is for personal use only (teachers please see my TPT store)
- This may NOT be sold, hosted, reproduced, or stored on any other site (including blog, Facebook, Dropbox, etc.)
- I offer free printables to bless my readers AND to provide for my family. Your frequent visits to my blog & support purchasing through affiliates links and ads keep the lights on so to speak. Thanks you!