Did you know there’s a holiday to celebrate the moon? Really!
National Moon Day is celebrated every year on July 20th. The holiday commemorates the day the first man walked on the moon – July 20, 1969. Celebrate this significant period in American history with some of these fun Moon Crafts and Activities for Kids.
Neil Armstrong took that momentous ‘first step’ as part of the Apollo Space program under President John F. Kennedy. The shuttle, Apollo 11, launched into space on July 16, 1969, and landed on the moon on July 20th, when Armstrong took his first step, proclaiming “That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”
Have fun learning about the moon with these Moon Activities or make a few moon treats! Have fun celebrating!
Moon Projects for Kids
- Moon Unit Study from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Smashing ABC Moon Rocks from Stir the Wonder
- Button Moon Collage from Adventure in a Box
- Moon Phases Game from Nerdy Mamma
- Puffy Paint Moon & Stars from Clare’s Little Tots
- Design a Moon Rover from Adventures in Mommydom
- Moon with Craters Kid’s Craft from JDaniel4’s Mom
- Oreo Moon Phase Match from Simple Learning
- Moon Math Game from Stir the Wonder
- Aluminum Foil Moon from Mommy’s Bundle
- Moon Science from Preschool Powol Packets
- Space Binoculars with Curious George from Red Ted Art
- Moon Craft Mobile for Kids from Fantastic Fun & Learning
- Cardboard Spaceship Climbing Toy from Pink Stripey Socks
- Moon Journal from Buggy and Buddy
- Moon Phases Mini Book from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Moon Dust Writing Tray from Stir the Wonder
- Rocket to the Moon Sight Word Activity from Growing Book by Book
- M is for Moon from 123 Homeschool 4 Me
- Moon Craft from Fantastic Fun & Learning
- Phases of the Moon Mobile from Creative Family Fun
- I Love You to the Moon & Back Ornament from Emma Owl
- Homemade Moon Sand from Powerful Mothering
- Mosaic Moon Craft from In the Playroom
Moon Snacks & Treats
What’s a celebration without a fun treat! Try one of these snacks or treats when planning your moon celebration:
- Eat the Moon Space Snack from Things to Share & Remember
- Caramel Mocha Moon Cookies from The Monday Box
- Astronaut Snack from Parenting Chaos
- Moon Balls from Meaningful Mama
- The Moon & Stars Afternoon Tea from One Perfect Day
Moon Books for Kids
If you want to learn more about the moon or Neil Armstrong, check out a few of these books:
Don’t miss our Solar System Unit filled with fun, hands-on projects and activities to help K6 kids learn about our amazing universe! Plus tons of free solar system worksheets too!
Have another idea for learning about the moon? Leave me a comment and tell me about it!