Teaching a child to read can seem daunting.
It seems like such a huge jump from learning your alphabet to reading words. And reading is something they will not only use throughout their whole life, but it is one of the most crucial skills they’ll need!
Along the path from ABCs to confident reader can be a bumpy road. Kids can feel self conscious and get easily frustrated. We need to build their self esteem so they will want to practice because as your mother said, practice makes perfect!
I love this article from Teach Mama with 5 things to NEVER say to an emerging reader. So many great tips for parents, teachers, and homeschoolers alike.
- Princess Sight Words Readers (FREE; Toddler – 2nd Grade)
- Super Hero Readers (FREE; Toddler – 2nd Grade)
- Cars & Toy Story Inspired Readers (FREE; Preschool)
- Tangled & Brave Pre Primer Readers (FREE; Preschool)
- Reading the Easy Way Preschool
- Phonics Coloring Pages
- Reading Logs (various)
- 25 Reading Games & Sight Word Activities
- 50 Books Kindergartners Can Read THEMselves
- 100 Books for 1st Graders to Read ALONE